Trailer towing

Ratman

11 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Madness if it's correct, first day out and you've got to get on a tight loading bay and you haven't been taught how to reverse.

Tiz madness :egg:.  You want to see the state the supermarket delivery drivers get into around here, you can tell the ones that have spent their lives trunking motorways. Wouldn't stand a chance in hell with a timber truck down a country lane.

Bob

1 minute ago, aspenarb said:

Tiz madness :egg:.  You want to see the state the supermarket delivery drivers get into around here, you can tell the ones that have spent their lives trunking motorways. Wouldn't stand a chance in hell with a timber truck down a country lane.

Bob

Seen it loads on production factories, bollards bent over Armco dented beyond repair. Some loading bays are poorly designed mind, where the drivers got to get the cab 90 degrees to the trailer to have any chance of getting on the bay.

• Haha 1

Personally, I'm thrilled as it means I can ditch the L-plates and tow the small trailer (c.1 tonne) behind the Hilux without "supervision" from my wife who passed her test a few months before I did in 1996.

Can't believe the no reversing HGV test, though, that seems a bit foolish.

• Like 3

It's bonkers really. And the hitching & unhitching part will be done at training centres I believe. Except that needs to be done off the road, and the people they expect to pick up the extra work here don't necessarily have the space for it. Not to mention peoples entire businesses have essentially just been wiped out. 

While in theory it sounds great, I think in reality it's a desperate, ill conceived move that will amount to nothing, if we're lucky. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aspenarb said:

Bob

Peter used to leave me the keys to his wagon so I could move it back and for on the forest road to cut down the extraction distance in the days we hand balled 1 metre pulp onto 28 tonnne artics, I used to get in such a mess that it put me off lorry driving completely.

I have been thinking about ordering a larger plant trailer, so this news prompted me to go and order a new one at 9 a m this morning.  I'm sure demand for larger trailers ( new and secondhand ) will rise and there is a waiting list for many models as it is.  I will take delivery in January 2022 at the earliest !

• Like 1

Personally i think the problem of the driver shortage stems back to the 90s when the driving licence was altered, first of all it cost every one more to to get to the stage where you could drive a HGV, 

Back when i past my driving test in 82, you could pass your test on a monday morning and then jump straight in to a 7,5 tonner and tow a 4,5 tonne trailer, , many lads i know including myself where chucked in to 7,5 tonners the day after we passed our test, some then went on to wait till they where 21 and then did a class 1,

From 95 when the changes came in who wanted to spend there money on doing several different tests to get to where you could get a few years prier with very little expence ? 

I dont really know 100%  how it works at present. but its just like a lot of other things we have in life it has just been a money making scam set up by who was in Government at the time, Tony Tosser, There was no foresight in to what was going to happen years down the line and supprise supprise here we are, as others have said it is nothing to do with brexit or coming out of the EU it goes back much further,

Talking last night with some one about driving licences and he said that i should have a photo driving licence but i havent, i still have the pink and green paper one, and again when the photo licence was introduced it cost you £20 and i believe you need to renew it every 5 years ? so thats another way of getting money out of us, if we think about it if we renew every 5 year and pass our driving test at 17 and we drive till we are 82 thats 13 driving licence renewals at £20 a time and how many people have driving licences ?,

At the time when the photo licence was introduced how many people where sucked in because it was new and they just had to have one !! i just said F _ _ K em they gave me a new driving licence with a expieory date on and thats how its staying till i go in the nursing home,, we are just getting ripped of today with shit loads of stuff we dont even notice. Holiday tax, insurance tax and quarry tax its mad, 

• Like 2

You haven't moved house in many years then!  I had a paper licence until 6 months ago but moved house so now have a credit card with an ugly mug on it retrieved from a passport photo database of several years ago (with my consent - they do ask if it's ok!)

4 minutes ago, nepia said:

You haven't moved house in many years then!  I had a paper licence until 6 months ago but moved house so now have a credit card with an ugly mug on it retrieved from a passport photo database of several years ago (with my consent - they do ask if it's ok!)

Did move out once. then back again, then out again and so on over a 2 year span but never changed address on licence as by time it was back from DVLA i would of had to do it again,