Trailer towing

Ratman

2 minutes ago, jmac said:

Was talking to a guy who has a couple of lorries yesterday, he said the hgv test is going to be shorter and easier to pass. Anyone heard similar?

Perhaps it’s time for a ‘refresh?’

Vehicle tech has advanced massively over the years, has the test kept pace with vehicle capability changes? Does it need to? Don’t know, just wondering. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IronMike said:

I bet the fella I paid to get me through my test will be pissed. He was a grand fella, no nonsense and a big part of his living came from trailer tests. Now he can do something else I suppose, HGV driving perhaps?!

Thats the way forward, I would like to see something fast track in the way of  7.5 tonner training. Current hgv training is a week in the cab and north of £1800 plus the associated loss of earnings. The 7.5 tonners are not much bigger than a transit and I cant see why there shouldn't be a concession to full training. I just put my nipper through his class 2 and cant get him in for the class one until the end of the year, most of the trainers are fully booked.

Bob

• Like 1

Lad at work passed his hgv a year or so ago, he passed using a fully auto i-shift volvo and was granted a full licence for driving a manual. The loop hole was, you passed your car test in a manual so you can drive a manual hgv.
He drives our shunter round the yard often playing the juke box and stirring soup!

16 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Thats the way forward, I would like to see something fast track in the way of  7.5 tonner training. Current hgv training is a week in the cab and north of £1800 plus the associated loss of earnings. The 7.5 tonners are not much bigger than a transit and I cant see why there shouldn't be a concession to full training. I just put my nipper through his class 2 and cant get him in for the class one until the end of the year, most of the trainers are fully booked.

Bob

Modern Vans, 4/7.5t more like driving a car these days - mind you, if the Fiat 500 driver I met in the lane last night and who couldn’t reverse for toffee is anything to go by..... 🙀

1 minute ago, Vedhoggar said:

I think some employers will still want employees professionally trained and/or see a certificate of competence in future. 

I meet drivers regularly on narrow country roads that can’t reverse a small car never mind a trailer. 

Narrow country roads you say......? 😆

It is very true. The spectrum of technical ability on the roads is staggering. If ever I meet someone on a single track road, I nearly always just reverse as it's quicker than me waiting finding out if the other person can actually go backwards at a reasonable speed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Big J said:

Narrow country roads you say......? 😆

It is very true. The spectrum of technical ability on the roads is staggering. If ever I meet someone on a single track road, I nearly always just reverse as it's quicker than me waiting finding out if the other person can actually go backwards at a reasonable speed.

Go back straight … zig, zag back and forth more often, I do the same a lot of the time i.e.  just reverse trailer if it looks like it’s going to be difficult/impossible for them. 

• Like 2