Trees on banks and retaining walls

benedmonds

10 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

A symptom of such overt regulation that layers start to impose upon and contravene other layers....

Currently have a s154 (14 days notice) in a conservation area 😂 Riddle me that 😂

Indeed , turned up on site yesterday ( after a night of 'heavy' rain ) 4 rather shitty Sycamores on ground , that to be fair were in the way   , being cleared " storm damage was it ??? " I ventured ...... " yes mate " thankfully 360 tracks and scrapes on trunks had hidden the evidence    :/  K

Edited by Khriss
( took pictures of the fracture root flares - which were decayed - but then , but then most trees fracture with a 30 ton bucket against them ;) )

10 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

A symptom of such overt regulation that layers start to impose upon and contravene other layers....

Currently have a s154 (14 days notice) in a conservation area 😂 Riddle me that 😂

Not that much of a riddle, s154 trumps CA, it's one of the statutory exemptions.

41 minutes ago, daltontrees said:

Not that much of a riddle, s154 trumps CA, it's one of the statutory exemptions.

I didn't go into too much detail Jules - uncharacteristically brief 😂

Of course, in black and white, a straight forward trump card but the situation is rarely that binary - even if the outcome is, in theory, predetermined.

A prominent row of TPO'd Lime with excessive basal epicormic which forms a significant part of the hedge (can't remember what the hedging species is) and where the hedge was originally planted right up next to the raised bank boundary with the footway such that cutting back would be so severe as to likely kill the hedge and denude the pleasant aesthetic appeal of the CA.  Incidentally, since the attached pic, the hedge has been trimmed back to the usual historic pruning point but does still overhang the footway (but not excessively.)

Maybe it was the TPO application for reduction on the Lime(s) that triggered the s154 - but I doubt the LA is that 'joined up.'  I suspect it might have been the addition of telecoms street furniture on the pavement restricting the width and the covid requirement for more 'space' which has brought about the s154.  Just seems a little excessive and inconsistent that this particular hedge - amongst so many other nearby private and institutionally (including LA) owned incursions into the highway - has been selected and that, rather than following the better practice of liaison with the 'offending' owner, the LA moved straight to s154.

It's not my job BTW, I just did the TPO app back in May and was recently chatting to a pal that does the work here and it just happens to be an old boss of mine that owns the tree(s) / hedge.

Had the LA followed the better practice of liaison prior to service they might have been able to reach a mutually agreeable compromise which (a) didn't destroy the hedge and (b) acknowledged the potential for the TPO approved work to coincide with the hedge work thus reducing the street works disruption on a main city route to 1 occasion rather than 2.

Just for context, the attached pic (May 21) shows the hedge pre-annual trim when I did the TPO app, it was a bit excessive then but has since been trimmed.  Certainly not the worst offender I've ever seen and rather surprised that it has progressed direct to s154.

Today's main effort (pic 2) is the supporting detail for the planning app to widen / resurface the entrance to a listed building in a CA...  What fun!

IMG_5896.jpeg

IMG_6141.jpeg