Advice on timing of eucalyptus tree removal to minimise damage

Annava

Question

Hi,

We are planning to replace an existing garden room with an extension. We have planning permission. Building control identified an 8m high eucalyptus in our neighbours garden 6.5m from our existing foundations (new foundations will be in same place).

unfortunately a soil sample came back as having a high plasticity index (unusual in our area of Leicestershire, but not unknown). 

We have used a great structural engineer who is designing foundations for us on the basis that the tree is removed. Luckily our neighbours have agreed to remove the tree (it’s actually closer to their home than ours). 

The new foundations will take into account the fact that the tree was there. So we aren’t ‘ignoring’ it at all, but we need to make arrangements to get it out and before it grows much more!

The bit that is causing me some confusion is that the structural engineer has suggested that the tree should not be removed now (September), but that we should wait until March when the soil should be less dry. All parties seem happy for building work to commence as king as the tree is removed eventually.

I have called several tree surgeons / arbicuturalists all of whom said they tree can come down whenever. 

Can anyone suggest the best course of action?

thank you 

A9247FD9-A6D4-4A3D-A028-0541DB20F045.jpeg

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I read through the post thinking about this tree, then I saw the pic, it looks like a spindly next to nothing tree you could remove with a handsaw.

Take it out when you like. Yesterday ideally.

Haha yes that’s what my untrained layman’s eye thinks! It feels like a huge amount of fuss over a such a wimpy looking tree. The foundation extra work is major and so expensive!!

the structural engineer and building control have to go ‘by the book’ though and so the diameter of the tree trunk is of no consequence to them. 

So- ignoring the fact that it’s a spindly thing, while it be best to wait until spring to remove it?

I'm not an arborist, but have experience with subsidence so.....Soil needs to be wet, ideally file saturated, before the build as dry equates to shrunken and subsequent wetting could cause heave as it expands the soil.

Remove the tree now or march will make f all difference.  The ground will be at it's driest now and the tree starting to shut down for the winter.  The soil will then rehydrate as it rains and the 'hibernating tree' doesn't remove water.  Come march the tree starts to wake up and the weather begins to dry.... Cycle repeats.   The issue is, will tree removal cause heave by resaturating the soil too fast?  No.  Small tree won't predate house, won't be a problem, the soil rehydration will be the same over the winter with our without that tree.  If it were a huge tree you'd possibly consider removal in stages over a few years to allow slow recovery of the soil but I understand that is old thinking and shown to be wrong.  Just get the tree out, and of your concerned, wait until march before beginning your build.

• Like 1

I think you have got the advice you need, even though bureaucracy and arse-saving seem to be more to the fore than common sense; however, just one word of warning as eucs are different to most trees that British arbs and engineers come across. They don't have overwinter buds so can keep growing during winter, weather conditions permitting. So if the weather is dry and relatively warm for winter the rehydration may not take place. The effect won't be as large as summer drying, simply because of the weather.

Fell now & wait for some rain. Lay the foundation in the spring, having given the soil a bit of time to recover without the tree.