Future Firewood Demand Optimism?

Billhook

3 hours ago, Billhook said:

Been nice and sunny recently but I can see the dark clouds of a perfect storm brewing in the distance.  And a full blown rail strike to hamper the supplies of fuel and food

its definitely the 70s all over again. kate bush at number 1, general strikes, double digit inflation and the real threat of nuclear armageddon with Russia and NATO toe to toe.  power cuts and a really harsh winter will complete the feel.  I just hope Spurs continue their decent form ....they were awful for most of the 70s!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, devon TWiG said:

I was at a farm yesterday near  Exeter and they just combined their crop and yield was down mostly due to drought , livestock farmers are in a worse situation due to lack of grass ....another told me that chips will be shorter this year because spuds were small !!😆

I've just returned with a few oak logs from the one that fell into a crop of rye now the combine had been through, I don't know what the yield was but there was no grass for the cattle, the neighbouring common had dying ling and a couple of mature scots pine, though these were likely previously damaged by wildfires years back.

I did get given 2kg of rye, now just have to figure out how to grind it good enough to make some loaves.

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

That'll be next year then  if farmers decide to plant break crops of  legumes because they cannot afford nitram

i was visiting family at ormskirk this week and one day the smell was strong of pigs muck spreading on the nearby fields.  i didnt think that was common practice these days, or is it just i've not been in the country at the right/wrong time for a while?

1 minute ago, neiln said:

i was visiting family at ormskirk this week and one day the smell was strong of pigs muck spreading on the nearby fields.  i didnt think that was common practice these days, or is it just i've not been in the country at the right/wrong time for a while?

Round here they seem to inject human waste rather than spread, not seen any pig farms locally for a long time.

I think I remember a Scottish Woodlands wheeze, where they got well paid to take tonnes and tonnes and tonnes of  sewage cake or sludge away, and "utilized" it by burying in BIG DEEP trenches to fertilize the conifers that they were for planting.

Or such was the story in the local community, who, again, from recall, put a stop to this scheme.

It sounded more like a "I have a cunning plan, let's dig a hole and bury it" to me, but hey!

What do I know.

P.S. 

I do not recall how far they were drawing it, or how,  away from the County road.

Edited by difflock

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/07/2022 at 10:26, neiln said:

Energy cap prices have risen by 12% last October, 54% last march, predicted to rise 78% this October and then further in January. That's 309% October to October. Most users were on deals well below the cap but with supplier firms going bust and fixed price deals ending, most users are now on the cap so factor that rise in too and users will have seen 350-400% rise in the cost of gas and electric with more to come.  While log producers haven't seen cost increases of anything like that you have seen cost increases and like everyone a cost of living increase of 10 ish %

I'm suggesting a rise in the cost of logs 150% less than that for gas and electricity is fair as log producers have had very low margins and profit, deserve more, costs up so need more, and energy costs all round are up, but balancing against price gouging by a much lower increase than elsewhere in the energy sector.  Log producers are not charities after all so profit is not a duty word, they deserve to earn a living too.  Although I could make an exception for some 😉

I see in the paper today that the energy price cap for April 2023 is £6,069.00

Our fuel and electricity costs are all going up to process the wood so at some point this will have to be passed on to the customer.  I think that we need to come up with an Arbtalk figure for the cost of a ton of hard/ soft wood, the labour cost / hour, the machinery depreciation, the fuel and electric power to convert it into dry  firewood, office work and taxes, and work out a sensible profit margin.  This will make us all find out that we are working for nothing!

• Like 3

I saw that prediction pop up on my phone...I took it with a pinch of sensational journalism salt as it was the express, plus predictions they far out are guess work.  I'm not saying it won't happen though.  The expected £4k figures for this winter are going to cause huge problems. 

I also finally saw an article from the stove industry alliance promoting stoves to keep homes warm in the event of black outs.  Not sure it's the best or only way to promote stoves but mainly I'm surprised I've not seen much more from the industry.

No doubt a lot of people will rely on their  wood burner more this winter.  I don’t sell firewood any more just briquettes I buy in; and demand has picked up already.

Of course the whingers will just keep going the way they always have and go into debt and play the victim card.

I hope most people will actually manage their situation and cut back sensibly, but all I hear is how folk are going to starve or die of cold.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Of course the whingers will just keep going the way they always have and go into debt and play the victim card.

I hope most people will actually manage their situation and cut back sensibly, but all I hear is how folk are going to starve or die of cold.  

Oh oh, Eggs and the other bleeding heart lefties will be out to linch you for this one. :D:D 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Oh oh, Eggs and the other bleeding heart lefties will be out to linch you for this one. :D:D 

I don’t see it as a political thing, but yes I know you get blasted if you ever say we need to fall back on our own resources before expecting handouts.

Also what is always overlooked is that we are almost entirely in control over how much gas and electricity we use, and cheap meals are always possible.  I am feeding my whole family tonight for about £8.  Not because I am skint but because we all love sausage casserole, and it is a great way of getting us all to eat loads of veg.

Some people will struggle for valid reasons I know, but 90% of people can manage ok if they really try.

• Like 5