Future Firewood Demand Optimism?

Billhook

7 hours ago, AHPP said:

They’ll get dirty over five years. Makes more of a difference than you’d think.  

I have a homeowner scaffold tower which I used to wash them 3 years ago for the first time and I will do so again, the dirt was mostly bird shit and algae

9 hours ago, daveatdave said:

it did not work out in my favor because after about 5 years they started to loose there capacity to produce there full kilowatts and by 20 years they needed replacing and they would not have paid for the cost of them 

I fitted my 1.2kw array right at the start of FITs (well before actually in the period you could convert ROCS to fits). That must be 12 years ago now. That array still hits peaks of 1.4kw.

Our payback was much sooner as we are off grid to the cost of elec from a genny is much higher.

• Like 1

On 13/07/2022 at 16:55, openspaceman said:

Well I have to say that although we have a quote for £13500 for a 5kW array and 10kWh battery as the survey has still to take place there could still be a price hike.

2 years ago I reckoned a 4kW system and 6kWh battery could be had for £8k so yes much more than back then but with a likely 84% grid independence and an annual usage of 5000kWh there is still a saving of £1260 at 30p/kWh and that rises to £1848 at 40p/kWh.

In her case it is likely even better as she has an EV to soak up excess solar power.

I had a just over 3kwh fully optimised system installed on a shed roof a couple of weeks before  the cut off for FIT 3 years ago.

More West  than South facing produces just under 3000 kwh per year and heats a 200L unvented cylinder via an auto switch to the immersion heater so virtually no oil use from March - October   Cost was 4.5k fully installed, no battery, if we had one I guess we would loose much of the Dhw heating . 

Being so low makes it easy to keep clean especially this weather when they get covered on dust and pollen with no rain to wash them off.

446B628A-7BB4-48AB-A4D5-D2CFCADB50BC.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, slim reaper said:

Cost was 4.5k fully installed, no battery, if we had one I guess we would loose much of the Dhw heating . 

I wonder; I manage to heat about 50 litres and charge a the battery most days since April and if the hot water runs low I boil 2 litres for washing up in a kettle yet we are still exporting half our production on sunny days.

That's a cracking price for the installation.