Future Firewood Demand Optimism?

Billhook

On 25/10/2021 at 17:50, openspaceman said:

My second try at replying as lost first in cycberspace. Twenty years ago I did a lot of work in UniS grounds and woodlands and wasn't aware of that. They now have a woodburner at the sports complex. I guess the sizeable lake is also heating a sizeable building. The thing about a natural pond is that the  coupling with groundwater exchanges more heat and as @Billhook says a running river is picking up heat as it travels. Also water is good at absorbing infra red radiation from the sun.

I'd guess it went in about 15 years ago, when our company was still on campus.  Oh and yes it is a fair sized building and I guess you know the lake I mean.  It was also a pretty sizeable pipe that was installed to circulate the water.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think that the tragic death in Rothbury and the 16000 homes with no electricity in the North East and Scotland, does demonstrate the need for a reliable backup heat source when the electricity supply is cut by storms, overloading, breakdowns  or even terrorism.

A wood burning stove is not just a very pleasant form of everyday heating, but could be the difference between life and death in some circumstances 

The more we become reliant on electricity the more likely it will be overloaded, especially if everyone has an electric vehicle 

• Like 8

I think that the tragic death in Rothbury and the 16000 homes with no electricity in the North East and Scotland, does demonstrate the need for a reliable backup heat source when the electricity supply is cut by storms, overloading, breakdowns  or even terrorism.
A wood burning stove is not just a very pleasant form of everyday heating, but could be the difference between life and death in some circumstances 
The more we become reliant on electricity the more likely it will be overloaded, especially if everyone has an electric vehicle 

We’ve been without power for a few days intermittently since the Storm. Cozy house, missus still cooking and hot water. Best investment I’ve ever made.

IMG_4737.jpg
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

We’ve been without power for a few days intermittently since the Storm. Cozy house, missus still cooking and hot water. Best investment I’ve ever made.

IMG_4737.jpg

I expect that you will have several trees down to top up your firewood shed!