Future Firewood Demand Optimism?

Billhook

2 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

The insulation point is a good one and certainly is a factor in the winter re money spent on heating.  That said, there have been certain points this summer when I have been glad of the cooler temperature inside an old stone built house.

A stone built house with insulation on the outside is the best of all worlds IMO. All the stone is thermal mass so it doesn't fluctuate in temperature quickly. If you insulate the outside (EWI) in the winter all that stone gets warm and stays warm. In summer the insulation slows the walls heating up. And they wall will balance day/night temps

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

I did try to get our loft re-done through one of the grant schemes but when they came round to assess the job, the cost of ripping out the old loft boarding and re-doing it (not that old either) would have fallen on us and we simply couldn't afford to do it at the time so we let it pass.  I think we'll have to revisit the idea though.

It's the way to make a HP financially work for you. 

24 minutes ago, Big J said:

Thanks for posting the figures.

There is so much misinformation and fear mongering about heat pump systems in the UK at the moment. I think the primary issue is that they serve to highlight just how shocking our insulation levels are here. Of course they aren't going to be economical in your average UK home with average insulation. We insulate our homes like we insulate our cattle sheds. 

We have a Swedish friend a few miles away whose parents don't like to visit (Devon) in winter. They are from Mora, which is at the start of the mountain chain that divides Norway and Sweden. The beginning of the wilderness really. And they say they find it uncomfortably cold inside and out here in winter. 

It's the driven rain and damp that means we really do need good insulation here. The heat loss from a wet wall is extraordinary. The best way to illustrate this is to stick your hand out of a car window at 50mph when it's cold outside. First do it with a dry hand, then with a wet hand. 

I wish more people took the climate in the UK more seriously. We seem to deny that we need proper insulation or heating, and then on the flip side endure weeks and sometimes months without A/C in summer because "it doesn't get that hot in England".

The funniest thing I saw recently was a reply to a comment I made on a Guardian article about heat pumps. I raised the issue of insulation, and that we need a lot more of it. A chap replied to me saying that if he insulated his house more then the heat wouldn't be able to get out in summer and he'd overheat. 

It really was a Picard faceplant moment. 😆

When I built this house in the 1980s I knew that due to its exposed position that insulation was going to be important so I tripled the fibreglass loft insulation.  Unfortunately the one size fits all building regulations said that I would need fully ventilated eaves.

The result was that in high Winter winds the air came in and went under the insulation and chilled the plasterboard ceilings which then acted like a chiller radiator.

I discovered icynene, a water based breathable foam, unlike the chemical foams I was familiar with on the farm in the potato chitting sheds.  Anyway we filled the loft spaces with it and the result was fantastic, no smell and minimum disruption

The only unpleasant job for me was to mask up and overall up to remove the horrible old fibreglass, much of which had blackened,  and put it all in a farm trailer, which it filled.

WWW.UKSPRAYFOAM.CO.UK

The Icynene Insulation System is a series of soft, flexible spray foam insulation products that delivers up to 50% greater...

11 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

I’m sure heat pump efficiency has improved vastly over the years, but my experience of them about 18 years ago was not good. A scout building was considered too expensive to heat for its limited use plus a grant was available at the time too. 10 k worth of equipment was installed and ran until the first quarterly bill came in at over £800.00.
The heat pump was removed shortly after that.

This is exactly the situation we decided air circulating pellet stoves were ideal for, a 10kW fast heat up of the air space  which tailed off as horsed of sweaty bodies contributed their 200W to.

We imported 25 in about 2000, I still have the demo unit idle in my shed, but take up was not good and the pellet price shot up from£70/tonne.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

The insulation point is a good one and certainly is a factor in the winter re money spent on heating.  That said, there have been certain points this summer when I have been glad of the cooler temperature inside an old stone built house.

You too are missing the point like @Big J's guardian reader. As @Woodworks says if the stonework is insulated outside the  insulation can prevent solar gain, thus keeping the inside cooler

2 hours ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Sounds like GSHP might be more efficient?

It's interesting that I seem to hear more problems with ASHP than GSHP but that may be because they tend to be much cheaper to install.

My first experience of GSHP was 30 years ago on a big house, offices and garden of a property developer. The pipes were under about an acre of lawn. In deep winter they tried to heat everything, including a pool and stables and this resulted in the soil around the pipes freezing and raising ridges in the lawn. This was entirely a problem of the development company owner not understanding the science and he scrapped the installation rather than accept its limitations and add an alternative for cold weather.

I came across a similar thing when my brother converted an old house into 8 flats, he did not take advice and fitted radiators instead of underfloor, he also used the ASHP for domestic hot water whereas a point of use hot water would have been more sensible. Worse still was because 8 flats domestic hot water was stored in a common tank the temperature had to be raised electrically each day to eliminate Legionella bacteria. Had the ASHP only supplied underfloor heating it would have been adequate most of the time. Instead it was ripped out at great expense.

The interesting thing about ASHP  is that the air temperature varies  much greater than the soil even only six feet down, so in cold weather the GSHP has less work to do as long as the heat exchange surface under ground is adequate. Both depend on the sun. Oddly a lot of folk seem to believe that GSHP get their heat from the earth's core[1], there is some but it's only about 50mW/m2, the vast bulk is stored up in the surface layers in warmer weather. It strikes me a big pond would be an ideal source as the bottom layer would remain at 4C even as ice thickens over the top.

[1] this reserve of heat in hot rocks is  accessed because the hot rocks have been heated for millennia but as the heat is taken out, in Iceland as high pressure steam  or low temperature water from flooded mines, the rocks cool faster than the heat coming in from the core, so the heat is not sustainably mined any more than an aquifer  in a desert region is mined for water.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

I did try to get our loft re-done through one of the grant schemes but when they came round to assess the job, the cost of ripping out the old loft boarding and re-doing it (not that old either) would have fallen on us and we simply couldn't afford to do it at the time so we let it pass.  I think we'll have to revisit the idea though.

Why rip out the old boarding? If you put the new, extra deep insulation onto the existing loft boarding, you are still insulating and retaining any heat existing below that? If you need some loft flooring, put a new suspended loft floor in where you need it?

If you rip out all the old stuff, you are then putting new extra deep insulation onto the ceiling boards of the room below. If you put it onto the existing loft floor, there is an insulated layer under your insulated layer and unless there is a bloody great hole where the air can escape to within that layer, then you must be achieving the same thing.

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

The interesting thing about ASHP  is that the air temperature varies  much greater than the soil even only six feet down, so in cold weather the GSHP has less work to do as long as the heat exchange surface under ground is adequate. Both depend on the sun. Oddly a lot of folk seem to believe that GSHP get their heat from the earth's core[1], there is some but it's only about 50mW/m2, the vast bulk is stored up in the surface layers in warmer weather. It strikes me a big pond would be an ideal source as the bottom layer would remain at 4C even as ice thickens over the top.

[1] this reserve of heat in hot rocks is  accessed because the hot rocks have been heated for millennia but as the heat is taken out, in Iceland as high pressure steam  or low temperature water from flooded mines, the rocks cool faster than the heat coming in from the core, so the heat is not sustainably mined any more than an aquifer  in a desert region is mined for water.

I don't know any details but for sure a pond can be used but it might have to be quite large.  One of the University of Surrey's buildings is heated using this technique but the pond is actually quite a sizable lake.  Interesting about the amount of heat from the core.

wrt solar hot water:

How do you avoid boiling the tank if not using water fast enough?  If you size the panels to be useful in winter then in summer the power is just going to be far too much. (also going on holiday might be an issue)

As most systems appear to be pumped, how do you prevent it boiling if the pump stops?

Both of these have been things stopping me moving beyond thinking about it.

1 hour ago, Rob_the_Sparky said:

I don't know any details but for sure a pond can be used but it might have to be quite large.  One of the University of Surrey's buildings is heated using this technique but the pond is actually quite a sizable lake.  Interesting about the amount of heat from the core.

wrt solar hot water:

How do you avoid boiling the tank if not using water fast enough?  If you size the panels to be useful in winter then in summer the power is just going to be far too much. (also going on holiday might be an issue)

As most systems appear to be pumped, how do you prevent it boiling if the pump stops?

Both of these have been things stopping me moving beyond thinking about it.

I thought that people living next to a river found it a better source than the ground, cannot remember where I read it though