Mahogany species

ucoulddoit

On 08/09/2021 at 14:16, nepia said:

The man to ask is @se7enthdevil Steve Earis.  But he doesn't come on here much any more - more's the pity.  Try those details in Arsebook, his main stomping ground I believe

sadly i can't use Arbtalk with my ancient computer. it stopped working around xmas and just says a secure connection can't be found or something similar.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, se7enthdevil said:

happy for you to send me a sample of you want me to make sure.

Hi Steve. Thanks for looking into this and I'll send a sample. It's good looking timber regardless of whether it's a genuine mahogany or a related species and I'm looking forwards to using it, hopefully over the next couple of years or so.

Andrew

Edited by ucoulddoit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Spot the design flaw.

I decided to resurrect this thread as it had quite a lot of viewings about a year ago when I asked for opinions about the reclaimed mahogany I’d acquired and I thought there might be some interest to see the first project completed recently.

IMG_1739C.thumb.JPG.6aa2cf9466d211e2146fac55475706e5.JPG

IMG_1738C.thumb.JPG.8f04aeede776a4534da0c8fb957b33b0.JPG

It is folding steps for my wife who struggles to reach the top of our kitchen cupboards. I pretty much copied the design from photos online and copied the sizes from some steel folding steps we have. But it was surprising how much still needed to be worked out. I like the fact that the reclaimed mahogany came from a staircase my dad made almost 60 years ago, and some of it is now a step ladder!

IMG_1731C.thumb.JPG.47d328173d61f0608a869393e858b73a.JPG

IMG_1735C.thumb.JPG.e1f7d43b93bd535bc2730817b639f8ac.JPG

I’d been given the reclaimed mahogany, but still spent a fair bit on this project. The brass rods and square bar, plus silicon bronze coach bolts (couldn’t source brass), nyloc brass nuts, washers, etc. all came to over £70. And I needed a beading router cutter for the steps.

IMG_1604C.thumb.JPG.fb0abc1c2b4b49133da13965f9b8ba73.JPG

Not used any tropical hardwoods for years and had forgotten just how good mahogany is to work with and what a colour and finish! My wife is delighted with them and it’s good to be able to tick off one more item from our ‘wish list’. When I mentioned I might have an occasional use for them in my workshop she wasn’t happy about that at all!!!!

IMG_1740C.thumb.JPG.7eff1e9f5479fcce413a5220eb3eed63.JPG

Anyway, there is a design flaw, discovered towards the end of making the steps and still wondering whether to just leave it as is? Any guesses as to what I got wrong? I'm afraid there isn't a prize.

Andrew

• Like 5

14 hours ago, ucoulddoit said:

Anyway, there is a design flaw, discovered towards the end of making the steps and still wondering whether to just leave it as is? Any guesses as to what I got wrong? I'm afraid there isn't a prize. 

No guesses yet? It's potentially quite serious and given how I used to earn my living can't quite believe I got it wrong.

Andrew