9/11

sime42

GreenMech had an outdoor stand at a recycling machinery show at the NEC, I'd gone in to use the bogs and have a wander. There was a huge crowd blocking a cross section of aisles, an exhibitor with a large screen tv had the news on. The silence apart from the odd curse, was very strange......it pretty well ended the show.

I was driving a tractor and potato harvester around Elvedon in Suffolk. I listened to it on the radio thinking it was Chris Moyles having a wind up to start with.

A couple of weeks later I clipped the fence at Lakenheath air base with the harvester and put a hole in it. You have never seen so many humvee and squadies armed to the hilt! It turns out they were on high alert and thought we were going to blow the place up 😂

12 minutes ago, Will C said:

I was driving a tractor and potato harvester around Elvedon in Suffolk. I listened to it on the radio thinking it was Chris Moyles having a wind up to start with.

A couple of weeks later I clipped the fence at Lakenheath air base with the harvester and put a hole in it. You have never seen so many humvee and squadies armed to the hilt! It turns out they were on high alert and thought we were going to blow the place up 😂

I was in and out of RAF Lakenheath at the same time, it would regularly take a couple of hours to get clearance. Even the staff on reception were carrying pistols.

My mum was halfway across the Atlantic on a plane to Canada when it happened. It was, apparently, the last civilian airliner allowed to land in continental North America for several days and was only allowed to do so because it had insufficient fuel to divert.

As was said of an earlier day, it is a day that will live in infamy, but, like the earlier day, it should have been forseen.

I heard it on Steve Wright in the afternoon, so I phoned my brother who was working at home in Yorkshire, I said ‘turn on the telly, they’re saying someone flew a plane into the twin towers’ (thinking it was a little two seater or something) 

He said ‘no, it was a passenger jet, there’s people jumping out the building’

So we pulled into the Mucky Duck and watched it unfold there.

I was in work when the Mrs called to say what happened. Phones and coverage weren't great back then so all I heard was a plane had crashed into a building. Nasty but not nothing to write home about. Until we started to hear the radio stations going into panic mode.

I think it's still a bit surreal when you watch the video footage.