Chain bench mounted grinder advice.

muttley9050

Never seen any bench grinders that are any good, people try to remove too much material and harden the cutters making them brittle and lose there edge in no time, re shaping the grinding wheel never gets done, all they do is ruin chains, good set of files and a roller guide is what you need.
I'm quite adept at hand filling. But when you come home from work with 6 190 link chains, some with metal damage, it gets rather laborious trying to get them back to prefect with all cutters the same length. Especially if the metal damaged teeth need 4mm taking off.
That's a lot of hand filling
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, muttley9050 said:

The time has come for a new bench mounted chain grinder.

Been looking at what's available.

Oregon grinders seem to be popular.

They have the compact for £60. I assume by the price that this isn't up to much.

They have the professional compact for around £200 and the professional for around £300. Then the professional hydraulic but not interested in that.

Is there much difference in ability, accuracy and ease of use in these two or will the £200 one do the job?

Or does anybody else have any other recommendations? £300 Ish is my upper limit.

Will mostly use it for 190 link Milling chains.

Managed with a Granberg precission 12v grinder till now but bored of the faff and want something easier.

Cheers chaps.

Opinions gratefully recieved.

I had a cheap grinder it's ok on everything except the ripping chains for milling.

I recently bought a Portek and the ability to set the angles correctly has transformed my sharpening. The Granberg still goes into the woods with me but the bench s master.

• Like 1

Use a softer coarser grit wheel in them for taking off more metal, i use a al-ox angle grinder wheel fr significant damage then put the pink one on to finish the tooth properly, if wheel gets loaded with shit, that will burn teeth too - dress it regular. (  an that works on my Florabest grinder too  😉) K

I had a cheap grinder it's ok on everything except the ripping chains for milling.

I recently bought a Portek and the ability to set the angles correctly has transformed my sharpening. The Granberg still goes into the woods with me but the bench s master.

WWW.FRJONESANDSON.CO.UK  

That's well priced. Is it all metal construction and good with Milling chains?

2 hours ago, muttley9050 said:
12 hours ago, Bob_z_l said:

WWW.FRJONESANDSON.CO.UK  

Read more  

That's well priced. Is it all metal construction and good with Milling chains?

Yes. Cast....something. The motor is quiet and housed in aluminium.

Yes, I would say so.  Have a look....here is the manual.

Ultra Mk4.pdf

Available on their web.