Chain bench mounted grinder advice.

muttley9050

The time has come for a new bench mounted chain grinder.

Been looking at what's available.

Oregon grinders seem to be popular.

They have the compact for £60. I assume by the price that this isn't up to much.

They have the professional compact for around £200 and the professional for around £300. Then the professional hydraulic but not interested in that.

Is there much difference in ability, accuracy and ease of use in these two or will the £200 one do the job?

Or does anybody else have any other recommendations? £300 Ish is my upper limit.

Will mostly use it for 190 link Milling chains.

Managed with a Granberg precission 12v grinder till now but bored of the faff and want something easier.

Cheers chaps.

Opinions gratefully recieved.

Never seen any bench grinders that are any good, people try to remove too much material and harden the cutters making them brittle and lose there edge in no time, re shaping the grinding wheel never gets done, all they do is ruin chains, good set of files and a roller guide is what you need.

The time has come for a new bench mounted chain grinder.
Been looking at what's available.
Oregon grinders seem to be popular.
They have the compact for £60. I assume by the price that this isn't up to much.
They have the professional compact for around £200 and the professional for around £300. Then the professional hydraulic but not interested in that.
Is there much difference in ability, accuracy and ease of use in these two or will the £200 one do the job?
Or does anybody else have any other recommendations? £300 Ish is my upper limit.
Will mostly use it for 190 link Milling chains.
Managed with a Granberg precission 12v grinder till now but bored of the faff and want something easier.
Cheers chaps.
Opinions gratefully recieved.

You pay for what you get.
Any plastic bench grinder is junk.
Must be metal with no play at all.
Stihl HOS if you can find one.
[emoji106]

10 minutes ago, adw said:

Never seen any bench grinders that are any good, people try to remove too much material and harden the cutters making them brittle and lose there edge in no time, re shaping the grinding wheel never gets done, all they do is ruin chains, good set of files and a roller guide is what you need.

I think you're just exposing your own inexperience here. Ive never had the issues you mention. 

21 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I think you're just exposing your own inexperience here. Ive never had the issues you mention. 

Never been accused of exposing myself before, I will add it to my cv,I am sure the factory will find it amusing.

• Haha 2