Chain stopping in cut

The Pigeon Man

15 minutes ago, adw said:

How do you suggest we police this? we have tried with top handle saws, but we see them on ebay and internet sites being sold to anybody every day, we can walk into B&Q today and purchase a chainsaw more than capable of causing serious injury, I completely take your point, but it not easy to control this.

Let nature take its course. We need more candidates for the annual Darwin Awards.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sviatoslav Tulin said:

I'm just want to ask something, how can some one use ms500, with no basic knowledge in chainsaws, so my advice is; bring it to a dealer, get chainsaw courses ar buy a good book, or i am in bad mud today 🤔

I had trees that had fallen during the pandemic. A smaller saw wouldn't do the job and I couldn't get a pro to come out to do the job. I bought all the safety gear available and had to get the job done. Unfortunately chainsaw safety courses were very hard to find or not taking place due to government restrictions.

I recognise that it is a powerful tool that demands respect. I'm also booking in on a safety course.

Thanks for the help so far.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, adw said:

How do you suggest we police this? we have tried with top handle saws, but we see them on ebay and internet sites being sold to anybody every day, we can walk into B&Q today and purchase a chainsaw more than capable of causing serious injury, I completely take your point, but it not easy to control this.

The 500i is an assault chainsaw. Nobody needs an assault chainsaw. I'm not saying we should ban all chainsaws, but we need commonsense chainsaw control.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

If chainsaws were licensed very few people would get in to the trade.
After several months of felling with a stihl 021, I bought a stihl ms440.
9 years later I got my tickets.
emoji106.png

Yeah this going back to the guilds and restrictive practise puts me right off.

I never had any training and did witness a fair few co workers cutting finger and legs (left thigh mostly before chainsaw trousers were adopted) but it was actually 30 years before I managed to cut myself, still too soon as never would have been better. All my lads took their assessments in 1991, about the first opportunity I think and I steadily took more as required. The last 6 years ago just before I retired,

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

If chainsaws were licensed very few people would get in to the trade.
After several months of felling with a stihl 021, I bought a stihl ms440.
9 years later I got my tickets.
emoji106.png

I doubt it. You could just buy a saw off ebay and no one is going to check to see if you have a license for it. 

• Like 1

On 07/09/2021 at 23:28, The Pigeon Man said:

This describes well what's happening. The chain is really biting into the cut and then once the spikes go in it bites hard and jams.

I inspected the chain. The filing angle was off on some teeth. 45 degrees instead of 30 degrees in places. Also there's a good chance I was putting too much downward pressure on the 2 in 1 file and taking too much off the depth gauges.

Are you using the correct 2 in 1? Take a pic of the chain.

So many people come in the shop wanting saws that have no clue, I'd rather not sell them one to be honest, but it's my job. I try to tell them as much info as possible in the short interaction I have with them. It's been mentioned a few times that we tell them more information than the first day of a course by some. I've had a few walk out because it was taking to long. They expected it just to come off the shelf and off they go, no pdi or anything. Just hand over the money. If they want that go to B&Q, Screwfix etc.