Chain stopping in cut

The Pigeon Man

Just an update and clarification

So the engine isn't racing when the chain gets stuck in the wood. It stays on but I quickly stop pulling the trigger, remove the saw from the cut and start again.

I file the chain with the Stihl 2 in 1 file. I was cutting hard wood when the problem occurred.

I will put on a new chain. That will help me diagnose if the chain is causing the issue.

Thanks for all the help so far.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mehmkl said:

I thought the same thing. It's worth trying. hi everyone by the way. I just joined here.

Hi there!

To clarify, when you say the chain stops in the cut, are you saying the chain has literally stopped moving, or just that it has stopped cutting? There is such a thing as a running chain that doesn't cut. Sometimes a serious burr on the bar guide rails can snag the side of the cut. If the chain has really stopped, check the clutch, and please don't use the saw anymore until the problem is fixed - trust me, I blew up my 461 like this!

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, The Pigeon Man said:

Just an update and clarification

So the engine isn't racing when the chain gets stuck in the wood. It stays on but I quickly stop pulling the trigger, remove the saw from the cut and start again.

I file the chain with the Stihl 2 in 1 file. I was cutting hard wood when the problem occurred.

I will put on a new chain. That will help me diagnose if the chain is causing the issue.

Thanks for all the help so far.

am i right in guessing your saw cuts nicely but suddenly bites hard into the log and then jams once you try to roll the cut using the spikes?

if so i think its the depth gauges filed too harshly with the 2 in 1.

the teeth bite in hard and stops the chain

happened to mine - use less pressure on the cut, let the chain pull itself through

1 hour ago, manco said:

am i right in guessing your saw cuts nicely but suddenly bites hard into the log and then jams once you try to roll the cut using the spikes?

if so i think its the depth gauges filed too harshly with the 2 in 1.

the teeth bite in hard and stops the chain

happened to mine - use less pressure on the cut, let the chain pull itself through

This describes well what's happening. The chain is really biting into the cut and then once the spikes go in it bites hard and jams.

I inspected the chain. The filing angle was off on some teeth. 45 degrees instead of 30 degrees in places. Also there's a good chance I was putting too much downward pressure on the 2 in 1 file and taking too much off the depth gauges.

21 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Hi there!

To clarify, when you say the chain stops in the cut, are you saying the chain has literally stopped moving, or just that it has stopped cutting? There is such a thing as a running chain that doesn't cut. Sometimes a serious burr on the bar guide rails can snag the side of the cut. If the chain has really stopped, check the clutch, and please don't use the saw anymore until the problem is fixed - trust me, I blew up my 461 like this!

Sorry, I just noticed it now. I think last night's alcohol may have had an effect. 🙂 Believe me, you did the best with answering. Thank you for your contributions. I have a lot to learn in this forum. Yours truly...

How do you suggest we police this? we have tried with top handle saws, but we see them on ebay and internet sites being sold to anybody every day, we can walk into B&Q today and purchase a chainsaw more than capable of causing serious injury, I completely take your point, but it not easy to control this.