how to encourage sprouting on oak stump?

natmech

We've the stump of an oak that was cut off flat about 2m (6ft) high.   It began sending up sprouts near the top.  But they were only on one side and there were only a couple.  We just had a storm that knocked them off, but I have one of a few inches length still.

There is nothing around this tree for 50 ft.  It has all the room for growth and sunlight.

What we would like is that there are shoots that come out near the top all the way around so that we may grow it into a feature, and that one day becomes a marvel to behold.

How do I encourage this growth?

thank you

the oak was planted around 2000.  in oct 2021 we got hit by a hurricane and it broke.  it was a nice healthy tree.  it was cut in nov 2021. its stump is about 18 inches diameter.

until last week it had 3 shoots coming off one side near the top, that had gotten to be about 3 feet in length.  we got hit by a hurricane a few days ago that took those off.  there is one left thats about a foot long that is green and has small green leaves on it.

i'll get some pictures up later.

is there a way to encourage buds to open up on all sides around it?

Aye that I am.  We had a couple hurricanes last October.  Maybe get another in the coming weeks too.  The way things are going you might also.  This one went from New Orleans to New York, quite a long distance across land.

Incisions you say?  It makes me think of the way of taking a branch from a tree to plant as a sapling.  Skin the bark around it a couple inches about 8 inches up from the branching point.  Surround it in soaked soil wrapped tight with moisture and light barrier.  In a few weeks it will have begun producing roots.  Then cut it at the branching point, remove the barrier, keep the new root ball intact and plant it.  It will begin producing next season.

This tree has rough bark, not smooth.  I can't really tell where any budding spots might be.  What do I have to consider if doing this?  What would make it produce budding sprouts instead of just healing the bark?

cheers mate