Where do you store your trailers/logs...?

Rms7

Is it possible to run a tree surgery business without dedicated storage, the obvious answer is no but I'd be interested to hear if anybody has managed to work around it.

For example if your setup is a pickup/trailer where are you going to store the trailer overnight or when not used, the same with logs, heavy equipment etc.. I have no room where I stay for these things.

Thanks for any help.

Is it possible to run a tree surgery business without dedicated storage, the obvious answer is no but I'd be interested to hear if anybody has managed to work around it.

For example if your setup is a pickup/trailer where are you going to store the trailer overnight or when not used, the same with logs, heavy equipment etc.. I have no room where I stay for these things.

Thanks for any help.
Yes.

People will store stuff for you in exchange for logs, treework or use of machines etc.

Try asking small farmers, estates etc, some will say no but surprising how many will help you out. Make sure you keep supplying logs etc and both parties benefit.

I drop off whiskey, booze, biscuits etc at Christmas to the folk who help me out, which seems to go down well!

J.

• Like 1

I think "maybe" but probably no.  IMO having a secure base for all of the above the probably one of the most important factors in deciding on your start up.  Ideally you also want a burn site for all the non-chippable arisings.  It depends on how risk-averse you are but again ideally you'd want it to be where you live because when you start up, everything is down to you, so you might as well be physically there to reduce the commute!  When I started up, the guy I bought my truck from had been hiring out a lock-up in the centre of a city which was near where his truck was parked.  Everything had to be walked back to the lock-up from the truck at the end of every day.  Reason for sale: missus had pulled the plug cos he wasn't making enough money.

My insurance specifies the chipper must be secured to a immovable object and in a secured compound or its not insured.  

Bottom line: find somewhere as a base for you and your gear within your chosen work area to minimise commute etc. 

Good luck.