Archery

Mark Bolam

On 05/09/2021 at 17:12, muttley9050 said:

My first instinct is don't buy that kit. You don't need to spend loads but you don't really need a quiver. . If you can shoot properly you don't need an arm guard.. Finger Protection is optional. I never bother but finger protection like pictured in that kit will make it hard to hit the side of a bus.

Hi Muttley

I have also liked the idea of having a Bow for doing archery and have seen these deal.... I have thought that they are ok for having some fun on land you own. But that's about all.

What advice would you give on budget to spend on a set-up? What would you buy that you wouldn't quickly grow out of?

Go to your nearest archery club.  You'll get to try lots of different types of bow. Don't buy anything until you've found out what style of archery (field/target/3-D) and types of bow you like (there are at least 11 main types of bow). Archery can be dirt cheap or mega expensive. I think I've spent about £50 over the last 6 years, but I make all my own kit (its not cos I'm tight, no really, its not...). You can spend £50 on an arrow if you're so inclined.  Check Archery GB, English Field Archery Association  and National Field Archery Society for clubs nearby.

• Like 1

Hi Muttley

I have also liked the idea of having a Bow for doing archery and have seen these deal.... I have thought that they are ok for having some fun on land you own. But that's about all.

What advice would you give on budget to spend on a set-up? What would you buy that you wouldn't quickly grow out of?

Buy a reasonable bow from Merlin. If you have land to shoot on and that's all you intend to do then you don't need to spend loads,

If you want to buy a kit this would be better thec the previous one mentioned

first-shot-1000_1.jpg

WWW.MERLINARCHERY.CO.UK
Ready to take your first shot? The First Shot Archery Kit is perfect for you. Combining a quality take down recurve bow with all the accessories you need to get started.

An archery club could be useful although I've never been to one except in my role as a scout leader.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, muttley9050 said:

Buy a reasonable bow from Merlin. If you have land to shoot on and that's all you intend to do then you don't need to spend loads,

If you want to buy a kit this would be better thec the previous one mentioned

first-shot-1000_1.jpg

WWW.MERLINARCHERY.CO.UK

Ready to take your first shot? The First Shot Archery Kit is perfect for you. Combining a quality take down recurve bow with all the accessories you need to get started.

An archery club could be useful although I've never been to one except in my role as a scout leader.

Thanks for your advice 👍

I had a really good chat with Merlin today, they were very helpful, discussing my height, build, intended usage etc.

I’m going to go for their ‘First Shot’ kit recommended by Muttley.

68” recurve with 26lb draw.

The riser is good for limbs up to 42lbs as I progress, if needed.

I’ll get some extra arrows as well.

It won’t take me long to lose 5.

I had a really good chat with Merlin today, they were very helpful, discussing my height, build, intended usage etc.

I’m going to go for their ‘First Shot’ kit recommended by Muttley.
68” recurve with 26lb draw.
The riser is good for limbs up to 42lbs as I progress, if needed.

I’ll get some extra arrows as well.
It won’t take me long to lose 5.
Good result. Let me know when you've got it and I'll come stand with an apple on my head.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1