Tracked hi-lift dumpers

Dan Maynard

I like to run my mini chipper up to the tree, and chip into a wheelie bin. This is a great solution up to about ten bins and then it starts being a drag so I'm looking for the next stage in machinery.

Avant/MO are expensive and big, I'm thinking a mini tracked hilift dumper would fit everywhere the chipper can go and easily tip into my trailer. May add some greedy boards to increase chip capacity.

Anybody used something like this? Any recommendations or even good secondhand machines for sale?

JCB HTD5 is diesel and seems to be really common with hire centres, or there's a TD500HL with Honda petrol engine.

Hi i have a hired a pedestrian tracked dumper in now and then over the years sometimes for a week at a time,

Never had any problems with them, but thats just like any thing else, its how its maintained, if just hired out and not given the once over it will go wrong at some point, we have had them on hire when we have been clearing windblown and just ringed the timber up ready for splitting, loaded dumper skip and away, run them some days for 9-10 hrs and moved some serious amounts of wood in the day with it and all been fine, saved our arse a time or 2 in the past with one of these when its either been to narrow or to wet for either quad or compact tractor to get in,, 

I think JCB have most things on either 0% or very low finance at the moment as there is 2 new diggers, a double drum roller and a Fast track appeared in the yard next to mine,

Weirdly I actually tried this on a job a couple of months ago, killer drag and thought it would be worth looking at playing around a bit. I made a chip box for a jcb hi lift dumper, which worked really well - just that when it was to be tipped into the truck it obviously only went to the rear of the load bed, so had to be shifted anyway when it was full at the back. I ended up using it to just drag out big piles of brash, which it did a good job of; particularly as you could lift the dumper so the butt end of the pile didn’t plough up the lawn. 

F66B867A-A87F-4406-8BCB-573C6849E7B2.jpeg

Weirdly I actually tried this on a job a couple of months ago, killer drag and thought it would be worth looking at playing around a bit. I made a chip box for a jcb hi lift dumper, which worked really well - just that when it was to be tipped into the truck it obviously only went to the rear of the load bed, so had to be shifted anyway when it was full at the back. I ended up using it to just drag out big piles of brash, which it did a good job of; particularly as you could lift the dumper so the butt end of the pile didn’t plough up the lawn. 
F66B867A-A87F-4406-8BCB-573C6849E7B2.thumb.jpeg.8fb2d1ef9deacfdfa399d070508cf3e6.jpeg
That's exactly the kind of thing. I have a 12 foot tipper trailer so would run it up the ramps to fill from the front, then tip the last bit over the tailgate.

A high tip dumper can’t carry logs or pick things up. What about something like a stand on skid steer with bulk bucket? That’d be the route I’d take, a few grand more but so much more useful. 

Well, I'm thinking it can carry rings - admittedly it can't pick them up for you - and it would be better at bulk chip than a skid steer.

From what I can I might get a secondhand dumper for 5k, Microbull is 13.5k+attachments+vat so it is a lot more.

6 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Well, I'm thinking it can carry rings - admittedly it can't pick them up for you - and it would be better at bulk chip than a skid steer.

From what I can I might get a secondhand dumper for 5k, Microbull is 13.5k+attachments+vat so it is a lot more.

If you keep looking you might get a secondhand kanga or similar at that money though. 

The other thing to consider is tracks. Tracks make a mess making any sort of turn in a garden. 

7 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:
15 hours ago, Eddie Eco said:
F66B867A-A87F-4406-8BCB-573C6849E7B2.thumb.jpeg.8fb2d1ef9deacfdfa399d070508cf3e6.jpeg

Read more  

That's exactly the kind of thing. I have a 12 foot tipper trailer so would run it up the ramps to fill from the front, then tip the last bit over the tailgate.

If you are willing to run it up ramps, then a muck truck max with compost sides would be perfect for you. Wheeled so no mess, spin it on the spot, get it through some real tight gaps too. 

Flatbed attachment is great for rings also, and 2k buys a new one leaving plenty in the savings pot for other toys. 

Edited by doobin
  • Thanks 1