Big Oak Tree 8 metres from house

KRK

Question

Hi

I am looking to purchase a house made around 1940  - 1950 . To the side of the house  , in the neighbouring property there is a lot of vegetation and trees and the trees have preservation orders (TPOs). One of the trees to the side of the house is a big Oak, probably three times height of house. The stump is about 8 metres from the side of the house. I've been told that the Oak was there before the house was built. Does this Oak pose a problem to the structure of the house in terms of it roots? The house survey has come back ok, i.e. no evidence of subsidence, although there are a few spalling bricks just above the damp course. The crown of the OAk was cut back a year or so ago as it was overhanging the house.

The other question I have relates to some tall conifers (8 to 10m high) which are in the back garden of the property I am looking to purchase. These are about 5 - 6 m from the house, but they block out a lot of sunlight (no TPO's on these). Is it ok to simply cut these down or is there a risk of problems if these are cut out.

Would really appreciate some advice as I am worried what dangers the trees may pose. I have small children so  the risk of a tree falling is quite frightening, as is the prospect of having to deal with subsidence and heave.

Regards

Kirk

Edited by KRK
typo

10 answers to this question

That is shrinkable clay country.

It is really impossible to say anythign definite about heave and subsidence on a property wothoout seeing the trees and house. If you have a clear survey and if insurance against subsidence and heave is available at a reasonable price, perhaps that's all you need.

You are worried about an oak falling, an oak that thas been there for over 60 years and might still be there in another 100, a tree that has withstood decades of storms. Trees most often are tested to destruction in stormy weather, when no-one is outside. Buildings offer quite a lot of protection against trees too. I'd no more worry about it than I would about taking my daughter to the local park where there are also trees. If you want peace of mind get a tree consultant to inspect the trees every few years. Not free advice form a tree surgeon but a paid-for report. Spread over time it will probably cost you about £0.50 a day for extra peace-of-mind.

• Like 4

On 03/09/2021 at 16:55, daltontrees said:

That is shrinkable clay country.

It is really impossible to say anythign definite about heave and subsidence on a property wothoout seeing the trees and house. If you have a clear survey and if insurance against subsidence and heave is available at a reasonable price, perhaps that's all you need.

You are worried about an oak falling, an oak that thas been there for over 60 years and might still be there in another 100, a tree that has withstood decades of storms. Trees most often are tested to destruction in stormy weather, when no-one is outside. Buildings offer quite a lot of protection against trees too. I'd no more worry about it than I would about taking my daughter to the local park where there are also trees. If you want peace of mind get a tree consultant to inspect the trees every few years. Not free advice form a tree surgeon but a paid-for report. Spread over time it will probably cost you about £0.50 a day for extra peace-of-mind.

And  few more photos..

IMG_0686.JPG

Edited by KRK
Edit photos

Hi

I am looking to purchase a house made around 1940  - 1950 . To the side of the house  , in the neighbouring property there is a lot of vegetation and trees and the trees have preservation orders (TPOs). One of the trees to the side of the house is a big Oak, probably three times height of house. The stump is about 8 metres from the side of the house. I've been told that the Oak was there before the house was built. Does this Oak pose a problem to the structure of the house in terms of it roots? The house survey has come back ok, i.e. no evidence of subsidence, although there are a few spalling bricks just above the damp course. The crown of the OAk was cut back a year or so ago as it was overhanging the house.

The other question I have relates to some tall conifers (8 to 10m high) which are in the back garden of the property I am looking to purchase. These are about 5 - 6 m from the house, but they block out a lot of sunlight (no TPO's on these). Is it ok to simply cut these down or is there a risk of problems if these are cut out.

Would really appreciate some advice as I am worried what dangers the trees may pose. I have small children so  the risk of a tree falling is quite frightening, as is the prospect of having to deal with subsidence and heave.

Regards

Kirk

Your wheelie bin poses more risk to your children statistically... get a professional tree report... Arb association approved contractors list is a good place to start.

• Like 2

If you're that worried about the tree look at a different house. No point buying a house and not sleeping at night worrying about it falling on the house some day. 

If it has a TPO on it then you would have to apply for planning permission to have any work done on it causing more stress if you're already concerned. 

Just my opinion though. 

• Like 2

I thought that heave isn’t an insurable risk because there’s no construction solution (unlike underpinning for subsidence)?  A family member who was in insurance told me this several years ago: heave leaves the house damaged, unrepairable, uninsurable and unsaleable. 

if I had known about heave before I bought my own property (huge sycamore about 5-10m from house), I would  have run a mile from it.  I hope that the original poster found a different property!

I found this article helpful and knowledgeable: 

https://www.peterbarry.co.uk/blog/clay-soils-subsidence-heave-trees-roots-part-2/ 

Edited by Denise in E18
More information