Morso 4412 advice (compared to Badger, or Arada Widescreens)

Hi all,

I have been reading these forums for weeks and can't make my mind up about a new stove (woodburner or multi-fuel).

I'm between the Morso 3112, 3116, 4412s and the arada/hamlet widescreens.

My current problem is my Mrs likes the contemporary look stoves (Badgers) and I want a good sized window. I live in Northern Ireland and the Arada/Hamlet ranges seem to be double the price here and around the same as the Morso prices.

I like the look of the Morso 4412, modern with a big window, but I can't find very much online in terms of reviews or comments from people that have used them and worry about spending that much without finding any user/seller feedback.

The Solution 5 widescreen and Ecoburn 5 Widescreen both have great windows and seem popular and I just can't decide if there are any pros and cons from any of the mentions models or each other.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Welcome to the site.

I am a major distributor for Arada and Morso and have been for many years.

The Arada Hamlet range is an entry level product,  designed specifically for builders and developers who want a decent stove at a price level that is comparable with the better quality Chinese stuff.    The visible glass size is significantly smaller than the more popular Ecoburn and Holborn ranges,   Hamlet has a 10 year casing warranty which is the norm for a quality stove manufacturer,  the Ecoburn and Holborn have a lifetime casing warranty.    This is a warranty against faults in parts used in manufacture and the manufacturing process,  it does not cover you against abuse or ingression of water.    These products have a steel body with a cast iron door.

The 4412 is a fairly new model, its been out 2 or 3 years,  steel body with steel door,   door closes magnetically which is a nice touch,     10 year casing warranty.     I have sold about 10 but have had one where the door came open when the stove got hot,  Morso changed it though.   Having a distrust of this system I do make sure every 4412 that goes out then the door closes as it should.   Other than that it does what it says on the tin.

The Morso Badger 3116 is one of my favorite stoves,   made from heavy duty cast iron it works superbly.   The visible glass size is a bit small when compared to some but Morso have never been a company to follow fashion.    If in 50 years you need some parts for your 3116 then they will be available and if still in production will be the same as the 3116s in current production.    

Since its launch 3 years ago the Charnwood Aire 5 has been my best seller,  followed the the Ecoburn Widescreen, I would recommend that you also consider Aire 5 but it does need a 150mm flue where the others in England can all be flued on a 125mm system which of course is cheaper.

All the above are 2022 compliant. 

Hope that helps.

A

Edited by Alycidon
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 04/09/2021 at 16:24, Alycidon said:

Welcome to the site.

I am a major distributor for Arada and Morso and have been for many years.

The Arada Hamlet range is an entry level product,  designed specifically for builders and developers who want a decent stove at a price level that is comparable with the better quality Chinese stuff.    The visible glass size is significantly smaller than the more popular Ecoburn and Holborn ranges,   Hamlet has a 10 year casing warranty which is the norm for a quality stove manufacturer,  the Ecoburn and Holborn have a lifetime casing warranty.    This is a warranty against faults in parts used in manufacture and the manufacturing process,  it does not cover you against abuse or ingression of water.    These products have a steel body with a cast iron door.

The 4412 is a fairly new model, its been out 2 or 3 years,  steel body with steel door,   door closes magnetically which is a nice touch,     10 year casing warranty.     I have sold about 10 but have had one where the door came open when the stove got hot,  Morso changed it though.   Having a distrust of this system I do make sure every 4412 that goes out then the door closes as it should.   Other than that it does what it says on the tin.

The Morso Badger 3116 is one of my favorite stoves,   made from heavy duty cast iron it works superbly.   The visible glass size is a bit small when compared to some but Morso have never been a company to follow fashion.    If in 50 years you need some parts for your 3116 then they will be available and if still in production will be the same as the 3116s in current production.    

Since its launch 3 years ago the Charnwood Aire 5 has been my best seller,  followed the the Ecoburn Widescreen, I would recommend that you also consider Aire 5 but it does need a 150mm flue where the others in England can all be flued on a 125mm system which of course is cheaper.

All the above are 2022 compliant. 

Hope that helps.

A

Hi, thanks so much for talking the time for the detailed and helpful response. Apologies for the delay in replying, had a new arrival in the household and things have been a bit hectic.

I'm getting back to things and think we'll go for the badger (most likely the 3112 for the multifuel option)

Thanks again

Most solid fuels will be illegal to sell from Jan22 under Ecodesign legislation,  they burn to dirtily.  You will still be able to buy Anthracite, this is hard to light, burns with a poor flame pattern but goes 4 hours or so between reloads.

I know 3112 is sold as MF and 3116 as a woodburner,  but this is a marketing thing,  they are exactly the same stove with cosmetic changes.  3116 has not been tested on solid fuel as there is no point unless the solid fuel manufacturers alter their solid fuel make up by reducing high sulphur additives and increasing the anthracite content.  

• 4 months later...

Hi All - I’ve owned a 4412 for 3 years. All good, until.. we suffered a cracked glass that finally split in half. Wear and tear perhaps after fairly constant use. I’ve search extensively for a replacement glass to no avail - the only source seemingly being Morso Spares at a cost of £480 !!

I also contacted the manufacturer regarding the cost and got a simple reply reply ‘because it’s curved’. 
At a cost of 1/3 of the stove when new, a bit outrageous - to put it mildly. 
Check out cost of spares when making your selection..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 18/03/2022 at 23:45, Richard A said:

Hi All - I’ve owned a 4412 for 3 years. All good, until.. we suffered a cracked glass that finally split in half. Wear and tear perhaps after fairly constant use. I’ve search extensively for a replacement glass to no avail - the only source seemingly being Morso Spares at a cost of £480 !!

I also contacted the manufacturer regarding the cost and got a simple reply reply ‘because it’s curved’. 
At a cost of 1/3 of the stove when new, a bit outrageous - to put it mildly. 
Check out cost of spares when making your selection..

Curved glass which is also high temperature is costly,  usually around the 600to 700 quid mark for a tall cylinder type stove,  all curved glass is this sort of cost as it can't be cut from a flat sheet and production costs are high.  Yet failure rates are very low,  I have sold one in 12 years,  one,  and that was because something fell against it.   At the end of the day you can probably claim on your house contents policy.   I always make potential buyers aware of this before they decide.

You mention cost of spare parts,  what yiu do need to really be thinking about is can you get hold off spare parts.  Several stove brands in the UK offer very little beyond glass and firebrick,  and with several stove manufacturers importing from China, India and Russia this is not going to get better.

New buyers are best advised to stick to long standing brands who build their products ideally in the UK from scratch.  Increasingly I am finding stoves assembled in the UK or Ireland from a kit of parts made in China. These are allowed to be called made in England.