How Overheads used to be hung!

PeteB

18 minutes ago, difflock said:

Why not GPO/Telephone?

From what I remember from 17 years of overheads starting in the early 80's, some rural areas still had 2, 3, 4 wire overheads along streets/roads and relatively few underground services. Phone lines were, by then, single wire or cable, insulated that didn't need the ceramic insulation or "pots" to carry them.

Although, I do recall posts with multiple cross arms and pots carrying copper cables along the side of railway tracks back then. Along a rural road, the GPO/PO still attached the cables to LV Poles but as said, these were insulated and didn't require pots....

Having said that, I do remember an 11kva set up in very rural Leicestershire that had the original wooden cross arms on the posts! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Although, I do recall posts with multiple cross arms and pots carrying copper cables along the side of railway tracks back then.

Hey they used to seem to go up and down in a mesmerising sort of way as the train window passed them, I suppose there was an arrangement between British Railways and the GPO before the voice signals could be multiplexed and each line only carried one channel.

I have hit one of those ceramic pots and it folded the tooth  downward for a way, the work hardening meant the file wouln't bite. I suspect I threw the chain away.

I grew in a rural area. I remember the ceramic insulators on the crossheads carrying the GPO wires was all. The tele pole outside our house had them still insitu until recent, if I remember correctly. Oddly enough, for whatever reason, I do not therefore associate these insulators with overhead electric supply.

Thanks.

I grew in a rural area. I remember the ceramic insulators on the crossheads carrying the GPO wires was all. The tele pole outside our house had them still insitu until recent, if I remember correctly. Oddly enough, for whatever reason, I do not therefore associate these insulators with overhead electric supply.
Thanks.
As young fools we would spend hours shooting the insulators on the poles with air rifles. Eventually it would start to chip off the glazed surface especially with the old steel darts with coloured feather ends (can you still get these? ), then a few dozen more splats with lead pellets it would possibly split. We always expected a fantastic shower of sparks like they showed on the A Team, but shooting at phone lines, it never happened! Used to do it with the hv lines on the pylons, too but the huge insulators were both too distant, and too strong to do anything other than ping to let you know you'd actually hit something. The age of bsa airsporters and meteors that we used to shoot each other with, as long as you were wearing body armour - an old leather jacket. Ahhh wonderful times, we were so innocent- and stupid !
Shaun
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2