dead alder tree

koi

Question

there is a large Alder tree in my neighbour's garden that has been dead for about 2 years, has a slight lean towards my shed, hence the concern. I'd say the tree is about 50ft tall about  2-3ft wide at the base, it has no leaves and sheds a branch every so often, it is situated in a wet spot. Is this the kind of tree that takes years to rot and fall or is it something that will not last long? Also is there anyway to get the neighbour to sort it out, currently showing no interest and no very approachable,

thanks in advance for any replies,

jim

4 answers to this question

This is quite helpful: 

What to do if you and your neighbour can’t agree about a tree or hedge that’s causing problems.

That said most Council's actually won't get involved in what they perceive to be a neighbourly dispute but it's worth asking. 

Remind your neighbour they have a 'duty of care' responsibility to you, and others, and as the tree is clearly dead/hazardous (assuming it is) if it fell and caused damage / harm they would almost certainly be liable. 

Maybe worth a conversation with your house insurers too, if that part of the property is insured.

Good luck..

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)

To answer your question about alder, the ones I own can be prone to snapping limbs and even tops when they are alive*. Dead stems rot quickly and don't seem to last more than a few years. I leave them as where I am they don't cause any problems and provide very good habitat for beetle larvae and the woodpeckers etc that feed on them. I wouldn't want a large, dead tree next to my house though.

*It is windy here, which doesn't help.