Prusik cord..

john87

Hi there, i have used an eye to eye 10mm diameter prusik cord to make a hip prusik for use with my flip line.

Bit worried though, as from what i have been reading using a 10mm cord on an 11mm flip line will result in me falling out of the tree..

I have a 10mm cord for a hip prusik with my 11mm rope lanyard and that grips in a BIG way. Do you think it will be ok for my flip line?? [the 10mm cord on the 11mm flip line i mean]

Thanks all

john..

Personally I use thinner accessory cord with a 11mm rope. As for using 10mm, give it a go at low level 

, if it grips keep it, if it doesn't change for thinner. Your hardly going to plunge to your death..... if your only 2ft off the ground trying it.

• Like 1

Does it grip and release? If it does, no problem. If it doesn’t, drop the cord size or change the hitch. I got surprisingly good performance the other day from a klemheist on some quite similar diameter rope/hitch. 11/10 isn’t textbook but it’ll work if you can be bothered to find a knot it likes.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Does it grip and release? If it does, no problem. If it doesn’t, drop the cord size or change the hitch. I got surprisingly good performance the other day from a klemheist on some quite similar diameter rope/hitch. 11/10 isn’t textbook but it’ll work if you can be bothered to find a knot it likes.

It was just that a few seconds after tying it, i gave the thing a good shake about to sort of simulate when you whizz up a tree sometimes without putting any weight on the hitch and then when i did, and expected it to grap.. it slipped.. ooerrr..

On my 10mm/11mm rope lanyard, same prusik cord, it grabs so tight you have quite a job to get it to release sometimes.. I would much rather this i must say!!

john..

Often prussic cord and knots take a bit of time to bed in. They tend to grip better once there's a tiny bit of wear. You might need an additional wrap initially, which you can then take off again after a while.
Also I think there's less grip on a wire core flip line anyway, regardless of cord type or knot. Due to the rigidity of the wire cable in the middle.
Personally I find a thinner prussic cord much nicer to use for all applications. I've got 8mm Ocean Polyester, works lovely.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Often prussic cord and knots take a bit of time to bed in. They tend to grip better once there's a tiny bit of wear. You might need an additional wrap initially, which you can then take off again after a while.
Also I think there's less grip on a wire core flip line anyway, regardless of cord type or knot. Due to the rigidity of the wire cable in the middle.
Personally I find a thinner prussic cord much nicer to use for all applications. I've got 8mm Ocean Polyester, works lovely.

I will give it a go in practice, and then maybe get some 8mm as this does seem to be better...

Funnily enough, it was an Ocean one i was thinking of getting..

john..