Is my Austrilian Cert Valid in the UK?

Hello People,

Wee question that some of you may know the answer to. Born and bred in Scotland, moved to Australia become a climber and got  certified there (cert 3 arboriculture NSW). Considering moving back to the UK to be close to family and am curious if this would be recognised and if not what would be recommend to take and what most arb company's are looking for accreditation wise?

This is just to work as a climber not consulting.

Thanks for the time!

I have had Australian guys come over to the Uk in the past with the equivalent qualifications, although they demonstrated a lot of different techniques, particularly with felling.

All went on to do the equivalent NPTC certification to be at a standard that would be widely recognised by UK employers.

None of them required much in the way of training. There are assessment questions on UK legislation/HSE/Puwer/Loler etc that they were not familiar with, they just downloaded the NPTC assessment schedules and I went through it with them and familiarised them with some of the more widely used felling cuts. As an experienced climber I would recommend you do a couple of days on a refresher course, just to get your head around the two rope working system required here for the assessment, this will also allow the instructor to cover all the assessment questions and legal stuff with you.

Where do you intend to settle in the UK?

Edited by 5thelement

20 hours ago, 5thelement said:

I have had Australian guys come over to the Uk in the past with the equivalent qualifications, although they demonstrated a lot of different techniques, particularly with felling.

All went on to do the equivalent NPTC certification to be at a standard that would be widely recognised by UK employers.

None of them required much in the way of training. There are assessment questions on UK legislation/HSE/Puwer/Loler etc that they were not familiar with, they just downloaded the NPTC assessment schedules and I went through it with them and familiarised them with some of the more widely used felling cuts. As an experienced climber I would recommend you do a couple of days on a refresher course, just to get your head around the two rope working system required here for the assessment, this will also allow the instructor to cover all the assessment questions and legal stuff with you.

Where do you intend to settle in the UK?

Hey,

I work with some English lads here and they have said similar things. I was advised to have a look at getting my ABC Level 4 Diploma, a course that is possible to be done online.

I am assuming I would need to get my NPTC assessments done in the following for insurance purposes with are employer? 

But am uncertain. would most likely be settling in Cumbria or east Lothian.

> 002101 City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Award in Felling and Processing Trees Over 380mm
> 002102 City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Award in Severing Uprooted or Windblown Trees using a Chainsaw
> 002104 City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Award in Preparing and Agreeing Emergency Treework Operations
> 002105 City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Award in Emergency Treework Operations
> 002111 City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Award in Felling and Processing Trees Over 380mm
> 002112 City & Guilds NPTC Level 3 Award in Preparing and Agreeing Emergency Treework Operations
> 002115 City and Guilds NPTC Level 3 Award in the Safe Use of a Chainsaw from a Mobile Elevated Work Platform 
> 002117 City and Guilds NPTC Level 3 Award in Felling and Crown Breakdown of Large Trees
> AUA10 Level 3 Certificate of Competence in Utility Arboriculture
> XARB03

I guess it depends if you are looking towards forestry or domestic arb, but most climbers don't have all those level 3 quals.

The basic set used to be CS30, 31, 38, 39. I find it confusing now because it seems you can do the same thing under different numbers but you essentially need
Level 2 awards in maintenance, cross cut and fell up to 380, so maybe 0020-12
Level 3 in climbing, aerial rescue 0021-06
Level 3 cutting using free fall techniques 0021-08

I would email some training providers near where you are aiming to move, no harm chatting about it.

• Like 1

IN summary, and if you're staying in the UK long-term, the NPTCs / Lantra quals are highly recommended but, from a HSE point of view (insurers may think/say differently) if the employer deems you competent, and ideally records / evidences such rather than simply a 'nod-n-a-wink", you can work here whilst familiarising yourself with UK techniques and systems etc. 

Having a training/assessment plan, with timescales in place, based on what you've already posted, would be a good idea too.

Good luck with it all and I hope you're happy to leave the sunshine behind.

Paul 

6 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I guess it depends if you are looking towards forestry or domestic arb, but most climbers don't have all those level 3 quals.

The basic set used to be CS30, 31, 38, 39. I find it confusing now because it seems you can do the same thing under different numbers but you essentially need
Level 2 awards in maintenance, cross cut and fell up to 380, so maybe 0020-12
Level 3 in climbing, aerial rescue 0021-06
Level 3 cutting using free fall techniques 0021-08

I would email some training providers near where you are aiming to move, no harm chatting about it.

The qualification titles are consistent between NPTC and Lantra, the 2 current assessing organisations (previously just City & Guilds NPTC of course, Lantra covered only training and 'ITA' previously but now offer quals too.)

Hence I would forget the nos., in either case and as wildly different, and stick with the titles, e.g. Level 2 tree felling upto 380mm dia. / Level 3 cutting using free-fall techniques etc.

Cheers,

Paul