Finding the right person for advice

Jiat2

5 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

Why? Whilst I wouldn't put it as bluntly as AHPP, it seemed a perfectly reasonable request.

Sounds like they have a concern with a neighbours tree and rather than blab about it on the 'net they would like a suitably qualified tree inspector to discuss their concerns with.

As a customer myself I wouldn't have much of a clue what to look for, and when I've sought advice from the council it's been wrong.

Thankfully JSN put up a helpful reply but I would still suggest that's a bit much for an average person to understand. Perhaps the arb industry should be more helpful to customers? (For example, I'd not heard of the Arb Association until I started posting here.)

Lets just say I've come to that conclusion through years of working for people who write in such a manner. 

Not saying he is a bad person, but will almost certainly result in 10's of emails before or after the consultation. Considerably more than a normal tree survey. 

It's likely the OP is not on speaking terms with the neighbours (there's normally two sides to a story like that) so inspecting on the day could be problematic.

Potentially the OP says its fine, then on the day the neighbour decides to refuse entry to spite the OP, which in turn, messes up the surveyors day (does he still charge etc). 

I'm getting 'cut back to boundary vibes' and those jobs often end up in squabbles.  

Edited by Clutchy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The problem doesn't sound that unusual though, perhaps you wouldn't be the best sort of person to do such a report then? Which goes back to the original question who would?

And it doesn't necessarily mean the cutting back/down of the tree, but if it was me I would want confidence in the consultant so if they advised the tree is unlikely to cause problems I could accept that.

• Sad 1

On 28/08/2021 at 15:07, Jiat2 said:

want a qualified expert opinion as to if a tree is safe as a number of things have happened.

Is a tree ‘safe?’

Thats what you want someone to tell you but I think the premise of your desire is flawed. 

If you find a suitably qualified and experienced ‘expert’ you might still struggle to find someone that would (credibly) provide such an assurance. 

After a suitable survey, you’d be better thinking in terms of the deliverable being - is it unsafe and why and what should / could you do about it. 

Bit like an MoT test really, not worth the paper it’s written on in terms of proving a cars ‘safety’ at any point after it leaves the MoT test centre. 

Whilst it is possible to observe, record and comment upon potential hazard features, are you ever going to actually get a definitive statement of a tree being ‘safe?’

What happens if there is an exceptional snow load, wind event or lightening strike?  What’s your ‘safety certificate’ worth then?

Ask somebody to tell you it is UNSAFE (and why) and you might be better served. 

Ask somebody to tell you it is SAFE and you’d be just as well buying the snake oil too 😂

@AHPP - dammit, will somebody think of the children 😂

• Thanks 1