3D printer

eggsarascal

6 hours ago, muttley9050 said:

Will be insterested as to how you get on. Just looking for a new van now to convert as the old one sold recently.

I've been looking for a smaller van to convert for ages, secondhand vans are making silly money at the moment. What van are you looking for?

The van market is crazy. But I have just sold in a crazy market so have a bit in the bank.

I want a van big enough to sleep me and my partner, my 17 and 12 year old kids. So we can all go on a europe trip next year.

Currently two frames of mind. Convert something like this

s-l400.jpg

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Or just buy an older coach built. I will be selling either way after Europe to get a smaller van anyway. Pretty sure this will be the last summer my daughter will come so will only need 2/3 Beth after that so will get a panel van mwb high top again.

If you have ever seen a lithium battery go bang I am not sure a home made one is something I would want to sleep next to.
My understanding of them is they are very temperamental to charging voltages and equalisation.
I would love to fit them on the boat but just went for bigger wet cell and a solar system, works well for our needs and haven't needed to connect to the mains yet to top up.
They are silly money but have come down hugely over the last year or so.

Edited by scraggs

8 minutes ago, scraggs said:

If you have ever seen a lithium battery go bang I am not sure a home made one is something I would want to sleep next to.
My understanding of them is they are very temperamental to charging voltages and equalisation.
I would love to fit them on the boat but just went for bigger wet cell and a solar system, works well for our needs and haven't needed to connect to the mains yet to top up.
They are silly money but have come down hugely over the last year or so.

I wouldn't rush into it until I'm 100% sure I would get it right. They are coming down in price but still strong money, 200ah is around £800, 100ah is around £450.

That said, if they do last the 10 years that is claimed they are probably cheaper than swapping out every few years.

12 hours ago, muttley9050 said:

The van market is crazy. But I have just sold in a crazy market so have a bit in the bank.

I want a van big enough to sleep me and my partner, my 17 and 12 year old kids. So we can all go on a europe trip next year.

Currently two frames of mind. Convert something like this

s-l400.jpg

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Or just buy an older coach built. I will be selling either way after Europe to get a smaller van anyway. Pretty sure this will be the last summer my daughter will come so will only need 2/3 Beth after that so will get a panel van mwb high top again.

I reckon very soon there will be a glut of vans (and particularly self built campers) for sale, the "staycation" bubble will burst :joyman:

• Like 2

Lithium cells can last a long time, with proper care. Apparently, the cells in electric vehicles lose their capacity after five years or so, and need to be swapped out, but they are far from useless - just not good enough to run a vehicle. These old cells are repurposed for other, lower drain applications. The issue with multiple cell electric storage is if one of the cells goes bad it can derange the whole system. "Intelligent" controllers can compensate for this.