Is this a piss take or an ok idea.

madbopper

Evening. 

Bit of background quickly. 

35 years in the tree game, most of them climbing and running a successful business, so I roughly know what I’m on about. 

Not in the business now but own a chunk of land with a lot of trees. 

I remember a while back employing lads who had a good grasp of stuff from college, but their hands on experience was rather lacking to be polite. 

Are their climbers that need trees to practice on, do they not get the chance at work to get up and have a go, is it always too rush rush on site. 

I have a bunch bunch of ash that will require removal in the next couple of years, now I could drop them from the floor in about 5 minutes and clean them up with my excavator no problem, but what about letting somebody come in and do a reduction on them, sort of pretend back garden scenario, after we look at it and all jump about saying how fab it looks and isn’t he super, we could then pollard it, again roping down missing the pretend shed and greenhouse. 

You get the idea. 

I have absolutely nothing to gain from this and it could be a thorough pain in the arse, some numpty turns up, thinks he’s gods gift to the tree world and turns out to be bloody useless, as I said I could just drop them over. 

but I wouldn’t mind trying I have a bit of spare time.

So what do you think.

Location cirencester. 

Cheers russ. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

Sending an unknown up an Ash tree sounds rather iffy to me. Potential disaster with dieback and its effects.

my understanding was they are coming down anyway and the unknowns are just using them for practice.

OP: youre just down the road from the AA, drop them a message and see if they want to use them for any training?

• Like 2

I dont know ur area but if there is any independant chainsaw/climbing type training providers or even local college.

I know a lad who does training and always on the look out for ground/trees althou no all areas are suitable for various reasons.

They will be covered insurance wise for training and novices.

But as mentioned esp if he ash have a touch of die back migh not abe a good tree to be climbing full stop never mind for a trainee/novice

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madbopper said:

Evening. 

Bit of background quickly. 

35 years in the tree game, most of them climbing and running a successful business, so I roughly know what I’m on about. 

Not in the business now but own a chunk of land with a lot of trees. 

I remember a while back employing lads who had a good grasp of stuff from college, but their hands on experience was rather lacking to be polite. 

Are their climbers that need trees to practice on, do they not get the chance at work to get up and have a go, is it always too rush rush on site. 

I have a bunch bunch of ash that will require removal in the next couple of years, now I could drop them from the floor in about 5 minutes and clean them up with my excavator no problem, but what about letting somebody come in and do a reduction on them, sort of pretend back garden scenario, after we look at it and all jump about saying how fab it looks and isn’t he super, we could then pollard it, again roping down missing the pretend shed and greenhouse. 

You get the idea. 

I have absolutely nothing to gain from this and it could be a thorough pain in the arse, some numpty turns up, thinks he’s gods gift to the tree world and turns out to be bloody useless, as I said I could just drop them over. 

but I wouldn’t mind trying I have a bit of spare time.

So what do you think.

Location cirencester. 

Cheers russ. 

The Royal Agricultural College at Cirencester run Forestry and Arb courses, short and long term.

Tim Bendle is a LANTRA/NPTC Verifyer and H-Team member, he runs the courses there.
You could send some details/photos of the trees/site etc, most training providers are constantly on the look out for good quality training material.

1 hour ago, manco said:

my understanding was they are coming down anyway and the unknowns are just using them for practice.

OP: youre just down the road from the AA, drop them a message and see if they want to use them for any training?

The unknown is the state of the ash trees not the novice, we know they need the practice.

I think the idea has legs but on ash with die back not so much 

• Like 1

It’s not a piss take, it is a sound concept (if you can handle the potential hassle of having ‘unknowns’ on your patch - although that could be mitigated by going through a training provider who would / should take responsibility for the actions of their students.)

Sound idea, well trodden path round these parts for landowners looking to save a buck in return for a bit of inherent hassle. 

• Like 1

Stack up a few bales underneath to replicate the greenhouse and shed. Use some cattle hurdles and a couple of bulk bags to make a three foot wide gravel drag 30m long to the chipper with a 90 degree bend halfway along it. Tell the local busybody what day it’s happening and that the trees are home to great crested bats. Finally, locate your nearest council dog waste bin and empty the contents liberally around the base of the trees. 

It’ll be the most realistic practice ever! I reckon you’re on to a winner. 

• Haha 10