Long reach hedge cutter / pole saw. Recommendations.

flanagaj

10 hours ago, daveatdave said:

be carful you could end up in court for aggravated trespass  someone  next to a empty council shop go me to cut the grass one day and he got a threatening letter from the council saying if it happened again they would start court proceedings 

You have every right to remove an obstruction but using power tools is questionable without the land owner's permission.

I am a voluntary path warden within our highway authority scheme and am allowed to cut vegetation up to 50mm diameter to the whole path width (and this can be difficult to decide even with the definitive path statement) with hand tools but hooks are not allowed for safety reasons. Silky and secateurs are about all I can use.

I also join groups from the Ramblers under the supervision of the HA's officer for larger tasks but the only power tool we are allowed is a stihl battery backpack trimmer, which is quite effective.

It's amazingly frustrating when one is used to power tools and the HA man, an ex copper, is wary of annoying landowner's, who often purposely allow the PRoWs to become difficult to use.

I did approach one local farmer and he agreed to let me use a hedgecutter and brushcutter under his farm insurance but after discussing this with another Rambler I received a letter from the HA warning me not to represent myself as a volunteer for the HA (I had not) as I did not have a lookout, was working alone and no warning signs in place (the paths were completely impassable with bramble and mugwort so no fear of meeting people).

IMO it does need some robust action to address this loss of access to the PRoW network as often in the south east the councils favour the landowners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing to argue with there but where does one draw the line?  You could so easily find so many reasons not to do anything.

That's not the OP's frame of mind though 👍. I'd go shit or bust; crack on, get the job done and worry about desk jockeys wetting themselves later.

But then I'm not as scared of public sector bureaucracy as many as I was part of it for 30 years!  When confronted I found that wringing hands and offering abject apologies worked wonders.

But the deed had been done 😊

• Like 2

23 hours ago, flanagaj said:

Apologies, but I have digressed and the question I came on here to ask is what machine do people recommend.  I cannot afford a Stihl as with the brush cutter, pruner and hedge cutter I would be looking at £1200.  But at the same token I appreciate a £150 ScrewFix special is a waste of money.

I don't know how far away from me but I have a set of strimmer, chainsaw,hedgecutter tools from a ryobi combi which I am told can be fitted to Stihl engine units you are welcome to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, openspaceman said:

You have every right to remove an obstruction but using power tools is questionable without the land owner's permission.

I am a voluntary path warden within our highway authority scheme and am allowed to cut vegetation up to 50mm diameter to the whole path width (and this can be difficult to decide even with the definitive path statement) with hand tools but hooks are not allowed for safety reasons. Silky and secateurs are about all I can use.

I also join groups from the Ramblers under the supervision of the HA's officer for larger tasks but the only power tool we are allowed is a stihl battery backpack trimmer, which is quite effective.

It's amazingly frustrating when one is used to power tools and the HA man, an ex copper, is wary of annoying landowner's, who often purposely allow the PRoWs to become difficult to use.

I did approach one local farmer and he agreed to let me use a hedgecutter and brushcutter under his farm insurance but after discussing this with another Rambler I received a letter from the HA warning me not to represent myself as a volunteer for the HA (I had not) as I did not have a lookout, was working alone and no warning signs in place (the paths were completely impassable with bramble and mugwort so no fear of meeting people).

IMO it does need some robust action to address this loss of access to the PRoW network as often in the south east the councils favour the landowners.

This is the whole joke regarding individuals volunteering their precious time at weekends.   Being given hand tools is just insulting and makes a complete mockery of people volunteering.   My local council did put me on a brush cutter course 5 years ago when I was able to volunteer during the week.   Now it's weekends only and clearing a trail with hand tools when a hedge cutter and pole pruner will tear through it in no time is just a false economy.

I am not sure how you change the system, as from my experience the council are stuck in their ways and bridleways / footpath maintenance are at the bottom of the list with an ever shrinking budget.

In the US and NZ they do things differently and local businesses and individuals can sponsor a trail.  This all helps to keep the network open.

I have suggested many ideas to my local MP Simon Hoare (completely useless) and the local council, but you may as well talk to a brick wall as they don't do change.

I'll get in touch with the relevant land owners and see if I can broker a deal whereby I keep the narrow wooded parts clear and they run a tractor and flail down the grass sections. 

• Like 2

I blench** at the thought of volunteers being turned loose with power tools, DESPITE any so-called rubber-stamp "training".

Having witnessed gormless/uncaring/unaccountable Council staff using and abusing chainsaws down through the years, despite being "trained".

We are all different, cept some canny realize just how different they are.

**more due to feeling sorry for the poor power tools.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

I don't know how far away from me but I have a set of strimmer, chainsaw,hedgecutter tools from a ryobi combi which I am told can be fitted to Stihl engine units you are welcome to.

That's a very kind offer.  I am based in Dorset so a bit of a trek.  I think I am just going to purchase the Hyundai set for starters.  I'd love the Stihl, but a rather too pricey.

6 hours ago, flanagaj said:

This is the whole joke regarding individuals volunteering their precious time at weekends.   Being given hand tools is just insulting and makes a complete mockery of people volunteering.   My local council did put me on a brush cutter course 5 years ago when I was able to volunteer during the week.   Now it's weekends only and clearing a trail with hand tools when a hedge cutter and pole pruner will tear through it in no time is just a false economy.

I am not sure how you change the system, as from my experience the council are stuck in their ways and bridleways / footpath maintenance are at the bottom of the list with an ever shrinking budget.

In the US and NZ they do things differently and local businesses and individuals can sponsor a trail.  This all helps to keep the network open.

I have suggested many ideas to my local MP Simon Hoare (completely useless) and the local council, but you may as well talk to a brick wall as they don't do change.

I'll get in touch with the relevant land owners and see if I can broker a deal whereby I keep the narrow wooded parts clear and they run a tractor and flail down the grass sections. 

Well we seem to be singing from the same song sheet, I too have tried but am by no means a good advocate. Try posting this part of the thread to Ramblers Volunteering. My chainsaw qualifications are just over 5 years since my last refresher and include fellinng big trees, using a chainsaw from a harness plus I have a few FMO certificates, including once being an assessor on that scheme. As I did not have NPTC brushcutter, despite having in house training in 1974 , Ramblers sent me on a one day course and subsequently have only allowed me to use the battery strimmer on two 1/2 hour stints.

I think the main issue is likely to be public liability insurance and risk assessment-method statement. I'm fairly confident either  of the businesses where I last worked would sponsor me under their insurance, especially if they got a bit of kudos for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1