Long reach hedge cutter / pole saw. Recommendations.

flanagaj

I appreciate that this is more a question towards garden maintenance, but I am hoping someone maybe able to help.   I am currently looking to purchase a 5 in 1 machine so that I can go out and cut the bridleways and footpaths that my local council seem to take 3 months or never doing after I report them.   As someone who is very passionate about footpaths and bridleways, especially, when you consider that these rights of way have so much history I find it a real shame to see so many being slowly lost due to poor management by the land owner (side vegetation) and council (upwards vegetation).

As a result I want to try and start a bit of a movement of my own getting local businesses and eventually individuals involved.  I appreciate you can volunteer with the local council rangers, but they only work Mon-Fri and a lot of people cannot volunteer during the week.

So my plan is to start cutting some local trails on my own in the hope I can get some exposure and then eventually try and purchase a 2 wheel tractor with flail.

Apologies, but I have digressed and the question I came on here to ask is what machine do people recommend.  I cannot afford a Stihl as with the brush cutter, pruner and hedge cutter I would be looking at £1200.  But at the same token I appreciate a £150 ScrewFix special is a waste of money.

I was hoping I might have been able to find a dealer who may either have an ex-demo or sell one at cost, given that this is about me spending my own money in an attempt to give something back to the wider community.

Any pointers welcomed.

• Like 5

Look at echo, a bit cheaper to buy but just as good value for money in hrs worked vs £ spent.

good luck it sounds like a interesting idea, check you don’t fall foul of pl insurance and possibly cutting vegetation on others land can be seen as criminal damage if you look at the final details.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will C said:

Look at echo, a bit cheaper to buy but just as good value for money in hrs worked vs £ spent.

good luck it sounds like a interesting idea, check you don’t fall foul of pl insurance and possibly cutting vegetation on others land can be seen as criminal damage if you look at the final details.

Many thanks for the recommendation.  I will have a look at the echo brand you mention.

The most frustrating aspect to the whole thing as you have eluded to, is that you are going out clearing the trails that the council don't have funding or cannot be bothered to cut and the vegetation that land owners are responsible for and yet you face a risk of criminal damage.  One part of me is rebellious and thinks if you ended up in court for clearing trails voluntarily it would maybe bring the whole system into question.

I have spoken with the council about cutting trails and they did state I need to request permission.  Requesting permission to clear the very trails that they are responsible for clearing.  Sounds all rather ridiculous.

Rant over.

2 hours ago, flanagaj said:

Many thanks for the recommendation.  I will have a look at the echo brand you mention.

The most frustrating aspect to the whole thing as you have eluded to, is that you are going out clearing the trails that the council don't have funding or cannot be bothered to cut and the vegetation that land owners are responsible for and yet you face a risk of criminal damage.  One part of me is rebellious and thinks if you ended up in court for clearing trails voluntarily it would maybe bring the whole system into question.

I have spoken with the council about cutting trails and they did state I need to request permission.  Requesting permission to clear the very trails that they are responsible for clearing.  Sounds all rather ridiculous.

Rant over.

just ask them . If they say no tell them they need to do it . If they say yes , crack on .

• Like 2

14 hours ago, flanagaj said:

I appreciate that this is more a question towards garden maintenance, but I am hoping someone maybe able to help.   I am currently looking to purchase a 5 in 1 machine so that I can go out and cut the bridleways and footpaths that my local council seem to take 3 months or never doing after I report them.   As someone who is very passionate about footpaths and bridleways, especially, when you consider that these rights of way have so much history I find it a real shame to see so many being slowly lost due to poor management by the land owner (side vegetation) and council (upwards vegetation).

As a result I want to try and start a bit of a movement of my own getting local businesses and eventually individuals involved.  I appreciate you can volunteer with the local council rangers, but they only work Mon-Fri and a lot of people cannot volunteer during the week.

So my plan is to start cutting some local trails on my own in the hope I can get some exposure and then eventually try and purchase a 2 wheel tractor with flail.

Apologies, but I have digressed and the question I came on here to ask is what machine do people recommend.  I cannot afford a Stihl as with the brush cutter, pruner and hedge cutter I would be looking at £1200.  But at the same token I appreciate a £150 ScrewFix special is a waste of money.

I was hoping I might have been able to find a dealer who may either have an ex-demo or sell one at cost, given that this is about me spending my own money in an attempt to give something back to the wider community.

Any pointers welcomed.

E694A837-3F5F-4C2B-9B5D-792FF194B087.thumb.png.b2967c6fd42cbc424b306ea94079a661.pngI got this Dolmar  combi stuff its brilliant,4 stroke,light and quiet 

I had a quick look at the echo and unfortunately, by the time you have purchased the unit, hedge trimmer and pole saw you are in the £800 sector which again is rather too much.

I suspect I am on a hiding to nothing when I say my budget is £400.   It seems to be either ££££ or £ when it comes to these multi tool machines.

6 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Haven’t used one, but seen pretty good reviews of these (from homeowners rather than pros, admittedly), and well within budget.

They normally make pretty good kit.

I fully support the ethos of what you’re doing as well. Fair play to you.

EFD3BFA1-7183-4284-95C0-3879DBFA24FD.png

I have been looking at this model, but just concluded it must be cheap rubbish.   It's looking like I might have to give one of these a try as the professional type offerings are very pricey and the wife will string me up if I spent serious money on equipment.

I have the Triton combo tool from screwfix. Not pro machines but works ok. About 4 year old and engine used a couple of times a week with the different attachments. Only fault has been a faulty on off switch but failed open so could still be used. Not a bad but of kit for the price.

• Like 1