Leaking hose coupler

AHPP

I've just bought my first piece of plant, a little skidsteer. One of the auxiliary hose couplers leaks slightly when the hoses are dangling unused when I don't have an implement plugged in. Not enough to bother replacing the hose since I'll almost certainly break it in the machine learning curve soon anyway. Can you get caps or blanked off couplers or something to keep the ends clean and from dripping hydraulic oil into the machine frame? Any suggestions? New ish to machines so don't know what things are called etc. 

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

I've just bought my first piece of plant, a little skidsteer. One of the auxiliary hose couplers leaks slightly when the hoses are dangling unused when I don't have an implement plugged in. Not enough to bother replacing the hose since I'll almost certainly break it in the machine learning curve soon anyway. Can you get caps or blanked off couplers or something to keep the ends clean and from dripping hydraulic oil into the machine frame? Any suggestions? New ish to machines so don't know what things are called etc. 

If it is just leaking from the coupler, you should be able to replace it without removing the hose.

It should unscrew here.

Screenshot_20210822-205351_Chrome.thumb.jpg.227dcd1843bdfdab8eb40339c334b48f.jpg

If you find a local hydraulics shop or agri dealer, they will probably have one on the shelf.  If you do replace it, it is good practice to replace the dowty washer at the same time.

20210822_210349.thumb.jpg.c4a88332dbd3c66f5022bf6e3679554a.jpg

The caps that @eggsarascal suggested wouldn't be a bad idea to keep the dirt out, as hydraulics and dirt don't mix too well!

Hopefully this doesn't sound like I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs!

EDIT: These are normally called a flat face coupler. Or the male half is a flat face probe, and the female a flat face carrier.

Edited by StihlGreen
  • Like 2

Obviously can’t see how it’s piped or the other auxiliary coupler, but if there’s enough hose and they are male/female of the same size then simply plug them together when being stored.

All the required info already posted to replace the coupling.

They don’t last forever, but cleanliness is the key and always wipe both the faces before connecting.

Eddie.

• Like 3

Excellent answers. Thank you. Not at all offended at being told basics. That's what I need to learn. However talk of sucking eggs, regardless of his helpful contribution to this thread, can quite happily happen elsewhere on the internet please.

• Haha 3