Small eucalyptus reduction needed in Wincanton

Big J

You can reduce maiden ones or well managed ones. But as mark said that’s been butchered. Loads of leggy uprights, won’t be an easy climb at all. In fact that looks horrible. You won’t gain much by reducing what’s left in my opinion. The frame works been buggered. And yes I hate to say it but I’d fell it and replace with another eucy (I love them) and manage appropriately. Just my two pence.

It can of course still be reduced but from my experience that won’t be an easy afternoon

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Martin du Preez said:

fell it and replace with another eucy (I love them) and manage appropriately.

Most eucalyptus coppice freely and can be stored after a couple of years. In fact I believe they have such a trait in order to survive flash fires when young. One grown as maidens seem to outgrow their roots and are not so wind firm.

• Like 1

Just googled as wasn't clear extactly what stored  means interesting.

Distinguishing Between Worked and Stored
Coppice

Maximum rotation length for coppice is considered to be 40 years but is generally less
than this for most species. Except in the case of hazel, coppice can successfully be
resumed even after a period of 60 years neglect.

Many coppice woodlands in Britain are well past their normal cutting cycle and have
become ‘overstood’ and neglected, and are becoming a form of high forest. This process
can be aided by the removal of all but the best stem (straightest and vigorous) from
each stool. This operation is known as ‘singling’ and the stems grown on to form large
trees are known as ‘stored coppice’. The stand can then be treated as a normal forest for
thinning, felling and other operations.

I thought singled  stems might be be less stable than maidens at the the union where bow out from the orginal stool, like when negelected pollards loose branches...

Edited by Stere

13 hours ago, Stere said:

Just googled as wasn't clear extactly what stored  means interesting.

I thought singled  stems might be be less stable than maidens at the the union where bow out from the orginal stool, like when negelected pollards loose branches...

This is the only example of stored coppice that I can remember working on. The Sweet chestnut coppice stools had been singled out around 50 years previously. The stems where all drawn up straight and clean with no shake.

83C0D87A-9A01-412E-BFFA-3D349D0DCE13.jpeg

• Like 4

On 23/08/2021 at 21:35, Big J said:

It's not a great photo to be honest. It's actually a rather nice tree, though I am biased towards eucs :D

They don't need to open up the view as the garden is wide, so they have plenty of space to look at the fields. It's the only tree in the garden, and given that it's a fairly large garden, removing it would leave it lacking somewhat.

So why do they want it reducing?

Easy afternoon my arse.