Part Time Business Start Up, any tips??

rafregtgunner

Hi all,

I currently work full time for a utility company cutting along the powerlines.

i'm wanting to start a part time domestic based business.

I've got all my kit bar a van and chipper.

i'm thinking of buying a van then hiring a chipper as and when.

Just asking you all for your tips and advice for getting started.

cheers

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

buyin a van and hiring a chipper will be the way to go for the first few years.

Try chatting up some local farmers and offer them money to burn branches hedge clippings ect for you and mabe some where to keep the timber.

I found parish mags do quite well for advertising if you do a good job they all seem to tell there friends. ive got work booked solid untill april and its all bar 3 jobs within a 5 mile radius.

less stress and cheaper to run vehicles

Great tips thanks!

I've all my advertising etc ready to, I was going to go round all my local farms this weekend to try and find somewhere to take the wood chip etc. The farms we use at work are too far away, trying to keep it all local and low costs!

Been looking at a few tippers, i can either wait for one to come up with a chipper box on already or pay about £1200 to have one custom built. Obviously i'm wanting to keep costs down as my only outgoing will be on the van each month. Hoping to pick one up for about £2-3k.

Anyone any ideas on what i'm gonna look at paying on insurance, doesn't need to be 10m cos i'm not looking at contracts etc. My business is going to be purely part time for a few years, hopefully able to get 4 jobs a month for the weekends.

Is it worth registering like a good boy as a sole trader even though it's only part time. Would prefer not to be paying the taxman anymore than I have to. Not looking at being VAT registered either.

Last thing, whats the best day rate for a chipper? Best iv'e found so far is £65 a day for a premier 220

Ditto to parish mags, cheap to place an ad in and people like to support the local guy.

intercept tpo aplications via council web site.

...did i just give my secret away?

i'd personally avoid that tip....not going to make many friends with other companies in your area who have done all the leg work for the TPO application that way.

I would go in as a sole trader ,you shouldnt have to pay more than £600 for insurance to cover you for public and products £1000000 and employer liability£5000000.Try bryant kesek 01438 274792

chip boxes are expensive! cheaper option is to spend £300 on some decent ply and paint it with a roller then you can sighn write over that and it doesnt look to pikey.

£65 a day for the premier sounds a very good deal.

weve got a farmer who takes all our woodchip he puts it under straw for cattle bedding,keep asking the farmers. as for chip sides we got a welder mate to make us some out of box section and steel sheet, primed,painted and sign written they look good,cost £150 a lot cheaper than £1200,all the best.