Flipline problems..

john87

Hi all,

I am only a newbie to all this and need a bit of advice.. I am having terrible trouble advancing my flip line.. On trees up to about 2 feet diameter is is dead easy and i can fly up them. When i try trees about 3 feet or a bit more in diameter it is very hard though, and really knocks my confidence. It is like my flip line is not stiff enough to flip..

I know there is a technique where you sort of fling a loop around the tree, but that is a bit beyond me i think..

Second thing.. Trees with a lean... When going up these, it is a bit scary, as if you lean into the tree, the rope grab on your flip line releases and it would only take a bit of muck to drop in there at the wrong time and you would be in a mess, is a friction hitch a far better idea than rope grabs?? What you all use??

Using a second lanyard would be a great idea, and i do if i have to pass an obstacle, but it makes things a lot more awkward sometimes. I see that some of the real experts only have the flipline and no second lanyard as backup at all, how many fall out of trees a year??

When on a steep lean, how do you know that you will not slip one day, swivel round, and end up stuck under the tree??

Sorry to bombard with questions!!

john.

49 minutes ago, john87 said:

Hi all,

I am only a newbie to all this and need a bit of advice.. I am having terrible trouble advancing my flip line.. On trees up to about 2 feet diameter is is dead easy and i can fly up them. When i try trees about 3 feet or a bit more in diameter it is very hard though, and really knocks my confidence. It is like my flip line is not stiff enough to flip..

I know there is a technique where you sort of fling a loop around the tree, but that is a bit beyond me i think..

Second thing.. Trees with a lean... When going up these, it is a bit scary, as if you lean into the tree, the rope grab on your flip line releases and it would only take a bit of muck to drop in there at the wrong time and you would be in a mess, is a friction hitch a far better idea than rope grabs?? What you all use??

Using a second lanyard would be a great idea, and i do if i have to pass an obstacle, but it makes things a lot more awkward sometimes. I see that some of the real experts only have the flipline and no second lanyard as backup at all, how many fall out of trees a year??

When on a steep lean, how do you know that you will not slip one day, swivel round, and end up stuck under the tree??

Sorry to bombard with questions!!

john.

Is your wire core flipline long enough? Are you using an aluminium karabiner or heavier steel karabiner? In some situations you could attach flipline to a length or rope and get groundsman to walk around tree. 

On your second point - I use a prussic loop these days instead of rope grab and never had it slip.

Never fallen out of a tree in a lifetime of tree work because of a flipline or climbing rope.

Have ended up in wrong position on steep lean but never been stuck. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vedhoggar said:

Is your wire core flipline long enough? Are you using an aluminium karabiner or heavier steel karabiner? In some situations you could attach flipline to a length or rope and get groundsman to walk around tree or pole with hook instead. 

On your second point - I use a prussic loop these days instead of rope grab and never had it slip.

Never fallen out of a tree in a lifetime of tree work because of a flipline or climbing rope.

Have ended up in wrong position on steep lean but never been stuck. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Vedhoggar said:

Flip line is 5 metres long, i can get it around the tree ok, but it it flipping it up that is the difficulty!!

I am tending towards using a prusik on my flipline too.. That is what i use on my second lanyard and it works just fine!!

If i ended up in wrong position, all would not be lost as i have my rope with me so i could install that and go up a bit or down!!

Guess that is the importance of the short webbing thing for wire flip lines that you can cut!!

john..

Flip line is 5 metres long, i can get it around the tree ok, but it it flipping it up that is the difficulty!!

I am tending towards using a prusik on my flipline too.. That is what i use on my second lanyard and it works just fine!!

If i ended up in wrong position, all would not be lost as i have my rope with me so i could install that and go up a bit or down!!

Guess that is the importance of the short webbing thing for wire flip lines that you can cut!!

john..
Yep, the cutaway strop. A must if you're using a wire core I'd say.

I use a Distel Hitch on my flip line. Always works a treat. If it doesn't grip enough just add another wrap. I use one on my second lanyard as well.
  • Like 1

I would say 5 meters is too long for starters, I had one and cut it down to a more manageable 3 meters.

Flipping up a big tree is more difficult than a smaller one so you can expect to do it slower.

Species is important as well, some, like oak, will often have a snag or a bulge at the other side that holds you up so practice walking around on the flip line to cut them off.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

In my limited experience there are 2 types of wire core flip line . The stiff kind where you can hold both ends and just " hinge " it up ( like a big horse shoe ) using both hands and then there is the more flexible ( rope like ) type that needs a flick from one side . You godda sorta lean forward as you do it obviously .  

• Like 2

Bigger stems you need to generate more flick. This can be harder with wire core flip lines. You do need a fair bit of slack for this as well.
You could carry two and just use one until you need the other navigate an awkward section. But it is hard to flick a line all the way around a big stem at height.

For leaners, having a mainline with a choke knot as a backup can be useful. You don’t want to slide round to the underneath. But if you go then at least you can get down. If skinny enough you can wrap the flip line all the way around the stem which holds you in one place better as you can’t slide around.

For both, if you can throw line in above the climb will be much easier!

• Like 2

When stems get bigger, you need to “roll” the flipline - there are a good few videos online that could help, Reg Coates does one that is quite good. It is a new technique and will take a little time to learn, but stick with it as it is worth the effort.

Here is a vid that shows the more extreme end of it. I was lucky enough to be stood next to the cameraman and have a go at it.

• Like 6