Bigger Tractor trailer large capacity

swinny

personally i think grain trailers tow better than silage trailers. silage trailers tend to be taller but shorter length whereas grain trailers are longer but shorter in the sides. 

both those trailers carry about 20 cubic metres but the blue trailer tows much nicer 

(actually the blue trailer carry’s 22m)

2B981CAB-CEC1-4A8E-8F99-251840434857.jpeg

9A1CFBCB-F1E3-4676-B091-C01096972C99.jpeg

020E7E65-4B5E-46DD-A9A9-19CA5782C284.jpeg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, swinny said:

Hi all,

Just wondering what folk are running behind their tractors for a large capacity trailer for chip etc? something like 16' long and a 12T trailer ish?

I see some are running a grain trailer, which seems shite flys everywhere! and some run larger silage type trailers?

I would like to get a larger trailer for the larger chipping jobs. Ideally something with a hydraulic back door!

Some of the silage trailers are auto back doors so only open when tipping? 

What are any of these trailer like to fill with an open back door?

Running gear I would love some big flotation tyres but most likely end up with something on super singles.... 

Ideally would prefer not to have a big 8' wide trailer..... Ideally 7'-7'6" max as my tractors most likely smaller than yours lol :D

Any advice?

How high does your chipper reach? I think grain trailers are the way to go but you'll probably have to go to 8ft to go bigger I would think. Alternatively I was working with a really nice push off trailer last week. 😉

_20210820_205954.JPG

6 minutes ago, gdh said:

How high does your chipper reach? I think grain trailers are the way to go but you'll probably have to go to 8ft to go bigger I would think. Alternatively I was working with a really nice push off trailer last week. 😉

_20210820_205954.JPG

I have a guy with a decent trailer like that! Doubt my tractor pull it though lol 

Way too big for little old me :D

IMG_20210715_075304.jpg

1 hour ago, John Shutler said:

personally i think grain trailers tow better than silage trailers. silage trailers tend to be taller but shorter length whereas grain trailers are longer but shorter in the sides. 

both those trailers carry about 20 cubic metres but the blue trailer tows much nicer 

(actually the blue trailer carry’s 22m)

2B981CAB-CEC1-4A8E-8F99-251840434857.jpeg

9A1CFBCB-F1E3-4676-B091-C01096972C99.jpeg

020E7E65-4B5E-46DD-A9A9-19CA5782C284.jpeg

So your capacity is double that of mine.... hmm

My only issue is sometimes some of the sites are a pain to get in and out of! 16' long be enough for me I think. The Fleming is only 13' long...

Have a smaller single axle also but will get shut of that towards a bigger trailer. 

Also prefer the grain monoque? Body do they call it? Solid vs the drop sides and extra sides on my current trailer. Grain trailer stronger 

Edited by swinny

On 19/08/2021 at 22:22, swinny said:

Hi all,

Just wondering what folk are running behind their tractors for a large capacity trailer for chip etc? something like 16' long and a 12T trailer ish?

I see some are running a grain trailer, which seems shite flys everywhere! and some run larger silage type trailers?

I would like to get a larger trailer for the larger chipping jobs. Ideally something with a hydraulic back door!

Some of the silage trailers are auto back doors so only open when tipping? 

What are any of these trailer like to fill with an open back door?

Running gear I would love some big flotation tyres but most likely end up with something on super singles.... 

Ideally would prefer not to have a big 8' wide trailer..... Ideally 7'-7'6" max as my tractors most likely smaller than yours lol :D

Any advice?

Your a bit late here, 2 trailers rolled up in the yard next to me a few month back, 2 grain trailer with hydraulic metal covers on them and hydraulic tail gates, one will be 18ft and the other is 16ft both on decent floatation tyres and very tidy, Lad bought them to transport sawdust in and they came out of Skipton auction about 4/5 months ago,  

Good question here, I’ve seen pretty much everything used to blow chip into and only two stood out, the first being a straightforward grain trailer that the guy had built a reverse silage type top for that simply dropped on when required.

Saved a huge amount of mess blowing over the back and you could get a fair load on.

The second was a straightforward huge silage trailer, one side fitted with the extra high side to deflect material and it did just that, giving consistent tidy big loads with very little mess, but it was a proper up and over spout on the large chipper loading it.

I’ve given it much thought and often wondered if a converted bin lorry body was the way to go for the smaller chippers, by blowing into the hopper at the back and compacting it in as you go.

It would then eject the lot and not require any tipping.

The bodies come in all sizes from 7.5 tonne up, it’s just could you retain the material enough in the hopper portion when being blasted in?

A pto pump/tank on tickover should power it easy for the filling process.

Eddie.

Edited by LGP Eddie