Cornflake driving licences

Justme

5 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Please correct me if i am wrong here, but i would say the move on the driving liecences is mainly down to the drastic lack of HGV drivers that have not come through in the last 20 yrs, things where made that difficult and expensive for some people to go and do it and  no one wanted to go down that rout ? 

We now have a massive shortage of HGV drivers all across the board and this has been the knock on affect from the change in 1997, ? 

Sat a snack bar on the A59 near Gisburn north yorks on Tues and there is a lot of HGV drivers use that spot but all who pulled up when i was there about 8 or 9 of them they were all 50+ !! so where are the younger HGV drivers ? they arent there and this is why we as a nation are having some supply problems to retail outlets, 

Builders supplies near me have wagons sat in the yard and last wk i met the MD driving a wagon n drag loaded with concreate blocks, they have been looking for drivers for last 9 month and a guy round corner from me cant get any one to drive recovery car transport trucks either,,,,

Its amazing that you & I can see the true cause of the driver problem yet the DVSA cant.

Ah well they might get an extra driver on the road if I have to close.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Justme said:

Its amazing that you & I can see the true cause of the driver problem yet the DVSA cant.

Ah well they might get an extra driver on the road if I have to close.

Yes but we are not polatician,s so that dont count, if it looked right on paper on the day and it ticked a few boxes it was right !!! no foresight what so ever !!

One thing i do stress to the younger lads who work with us is, Dont just think about today and tomorrow be thinking where you are going to be i say 5,10,15 years from now and be planning forward, but look at things from all angles,,,

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Please correct me if i am wrong here, but i would say the move on the driving liecences is mainly down to the drastic lack of HGV drivers that have not come through in the last 20 yrs, things where made that difficult and expensive for some people to go and do it and  no one wanted to go down that rout ? 

We now have a massive shortage of HGV drivers all across the board and this has been the knock on affect from the change in 1997, ? 

Sat a snack bar on the A59 near Gisburn north yorks on Tues and there is a lot of HGV drivers use that spot but all who pulled up when i was there about 8 or 9 of them they were all 50+ !! so where are the younger HGV drivers ? they arent there and this is why we as a nation are having some supply problems to retail outlets, 

Builders supplies near me have wagons sat in the yard and last wk i met the MD driving a wagon n drag loaded with concreate blocks, they have been looking for drivers for last 9 month and a guy round corner from me cant get any one to drive recovery car transport trucks either,,,,

Massive shortage of drivers, my brother is a hgv driver about 3 weeks ago he got a memo at work telling him he'd just had a 12% pay rise... he hadn't asked for a rise! They are desperate to keep hold of the drivers they've got.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Massive shortage of drivers, my brother is a hgv driver about 3 weeks ago he got a memo at work telling him he'd just had a 12% pay rise... he hadn't asked for a rise! They are desperate to keep hold of the drivers they've got.

Yes Carl round the corner with recovery/car transport tucks offering £15.50 an hr £50 call out and paid time n half on call outs, 25 days paid holiday and 20 paid sick days, the lad who jacked on him Carl said he was paying him on average £700-900 a week, his add for drivers has been live for 4 mth and not one enquiry ? 

23 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Yes Carl round the corner with recovery/car transport tucks offering £15.50 an hr £50 call out and paid time n half on call outs, 25 days paid holiday and 20 paid sick days, the lad who jacked on him Carl said he was paying him on average £700-900 a week, his add for drivers has been live for 4 mth and not one enquiry ? 

Looks like good pay on the head lines but is £15.50 per hour really enough to have no social life, on call 24/7, working roadside with potential to be killed or maimed etc etc.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Lots are paying a welcome bonus or a stay with us bonus.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Correct, where I live there are about 20 caravans stored here. The amount of people who can't reverse them back in there space when they return from holiday is amazing.

Yeh, and that's people who currently have a licence, so this change wouldn't affect them?

Maybe trailer licences should be more like a motorbike cbt then? A day's training which is then valid for a few years?

7 minutes ago, scbk said:

Yeh, and that's people who currently have a licence, so this change wouldn't affect them?

Maybe trailer licences should be more like a motorbike cbt then? A day's training which is then valid for a few years?

Yes, folk who currently have a license, I don't think we should have a cbt style test/refresher. I have to refresh enough tickets for work.

People who know they can't reverse a Caravan should get some training through the clubs that most of them are members of. There are trailer trainers that go to club sites and give lessons.

16 minutes ago, scbk said:

Actually more caravans come under the B licence limit than you would think. Plus all the oldies that still cant actually do it.

• Like 2