Cornflake driving licences

Justme

Nationally they are consulting on removing the BE licence, removing the need to take a test in a rigid vehicle before taking a test with a trailer, so straight to CE DE or C1E or D1E without taking C C1 or D D1.
Locally closing test center making people drive an extra 2 hours each way on a good day to the next one.

Removing need for the rigid test first removes about 20% of my work, removing BE removes about 70% but the Test center closing removes 100% of it.

Have you thought about driving for arb firms?
You’ve already got saw experience.
And you can reverse a trailer!
How about your own truck?
🤷🏽‍♂️[emoji106]

So you're saying you'll have the option to do a car test towing a trailer straight off, rather than car test first then trailer? Have I got that right? The first post reads like OP is reeling from the death of a close relative, all over the shop and incoherent.

Bring it on. If you can handle both for your first test then you are a much better driver than the average horsey bint with grandmother rights. Who got their license in a ceral packet again?

As for OP- stop whinging. At least you didn't run a nightclub or suchlike during the p]andemic, haemorrhaging cash and not knowing if you'll ever trade again.

It's about time we had some 'can do' attitude in this country, rather than the endless training, testing and refreshing gravy train. Next stop- CSCS!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, doobin said:

So you're saying you'll have the option to do a car test towing a trailer straight off, rather than car test first then trailer? Have I got that right? The first post reads like OP is reeling from the death of a close relative, all over the shop and incoherent.

Bring it on. If you can handle both for your first test then you are a much better driver than the average horsey bint with grandmother rights. Who got their license in a ceral packet again?

As for OP- stop whinging. At least you didn't run a nightclub or suchlike during the p]andemic, haemorrhaging cash and not knowing if you'll ever trade again.

It's about time we had some 'can do' attitude in this country, rather than the endless training, testing and refreshing gravy train. Next stop- CSCS!

I think you've misinterpreted things. Re-read the first post and those following and see if you form a different opinion.

17 minutes ago, Mark J said:

I think you've misinterpreted things. Re-read the first post and those following and see if you form a different opinion.

My bad. I meant the combination of all posts, including the one about looking for rope/suitable tree.

Do I have the details as regards changes to car tests correct?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe they are considering basically going back to how it was before, pass car test automatically getting the +E (trailer), and being able to do C+E (artic) test straight off, not rigid first then artic.

@Justme I guess you all ready have, but just in case there`s a consultation you can comment on.

10 minutes ago, Craig. said:

I believe they are considering basically going back to how it was before, pass car test automatically getting the +E (trailer), and being able to do C+E (artic) test straight off, not rigid first then artic.

@Justme I guess you all ready have, but just in case there`s a consultation you can comment on.

So what happens to the likes of me? Passed test 23 years ago, but not got b+e. Do we suddenly get it or is it just the snotty nose brats that can't drive a fiesta 

• Like 1

Found the consultation on the gov website. Here’s the bit we are interested in. 

Another option that would help free up DVSAexaminer resource to conduct vocational tests would be to consider removing the requirement for car drivers to take a B+E test (car and trailer) if they want to tow a trailer. DVSA currently conducts 30,000 B+E (car and trailer) tests a year. We have seen a steady increase in volumes during the pandemic as the public has adopted caravanning as an alternative to holidays abroad.

However, we recognise that for some trainers, their business model relies solely or significantly on training and preparing drivers for B+E tests. This would have a significant impact on those businesses, some of whom only provide B+E training.

If the test requirement were to be removed, we would continue to encourage drivers to obtain professional training before first towing a car and trailer combination. However, we recognise we would not be able to mandate that requirement so it would not necessarily ensure road safety standards were maintained or that there would be an economically viable level of work for some trainers.

This option would offer savings for individuals who would not need to take a test. There may also be some benefits for some businesses who use a car or van and trailer combination – such as gardening services or horse transportation.

The government has recently published the trailer safety report, and together with the #towsafe4freddie campaign they both highlight the risks from improperly secured trailers. The need to ensure road safety is important to the government and we understand that the public may have road safety concerns from this proposal.

We would be interested to hear the views from the insurance industry on how this might affect their ability to offer cover and any implications for costs for policies.

Are insurers likely to refuse cover if a driver has not passed at test?

This proposal does mean divergence from the current driving licence arrangements which were introduced when the UK was a member of the EUand which the UK continues to be aligned to. Drivers will continue to be able to drive abroad under the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic 1968. However, there may be an impact on the mutual recognition and exchange of driving licences arrangements currently negotiated.”

Sounds like you would no longer need a separate test, and current B holders would gain trailer entitlement. I’m all for it and will be responding to the consultation soon. We’ve left the EU- and we can make our own rules! I’m not shedding any tears for ‘trainers’- they can find another thing to parasitise as far as I’m concerned. 

I’d urge you all to respond. Let’s brainstorm points in favour. 

The first that comes to mind is using a trailer only when the load requires it means you can use a more fuel efficient vehicle most of the time, so good for the environment! 😜

Edited by doobin
  • Like 4

Be nice if the gits let me have my 7.5t licence for nowt! 

Was pissed years ago after doing my b+e to find if i wanted a 7.5t truck id have to do the bloody trailer test again ffs....

On the bonus, does this mean my lad that works for me doesnt need to do his trailer test now? Jammy git :D

• Like 1