Old climbers

Cob-logging

2 hours ago, otter said:

Hedge?  I was talking about 100ft climbing kind of stuff,  will do hedge, 20ft trees until I'm 70,

Ok, lets have fun, 360 m of hedge, 4 m  high, move ladder every 1.5 m, so 480, 4 m ladder climbs, plus 6 kilo hegecutter on extendet arms svinging, how that comparable to 100 ft tree, plus in UK AND IRELAND, most trees above 50 ft is protected, so mostly enjoyable pruning dead wood removal. UNLESS you climbing on blacke hitch😬. To be honest i enter a tree  crown with a ladder, then just using branches to ascend to tie in point thats it. Occasional pine tree, hovever must be slingshooted, those very rare. OPEN FOR ARGUMENT. 

39 minutes ago, treevolution said:

I was going to give up trimming a few years back due to the wear and tear on the body but decided to go Electric and now could trim all day and still feel fresh. 

Sharpe trimmers are as important as a sharp chain to make the job as effective as possible. 

Can those batterie powered unuts cut 1 year growth in comparable speed? 

Ok, lets have fun, 360 m of hedge, 4 m  high, move ladder every 1.5 m, so 480, 4 m ladder climbs, plus 6 kilo hegecutter on extendet arms svinging, how that comparable to 100 ft tree, plus in UK AND IRELAND, most trees above 50 ft is protected, so mostly enjoyable pruning dead wood removal. UNLESS you climbing on blacke hitch[emoji51]. To be honest i enter a tree  crown with a ladder, then just using branches to ascend to tie in point thats it. Occasional pine tree, hovever must be slingshooted, those very rare. OPEN FOR ARGUMENT. 

Aye **************** cutting hedges .. I used to be like a human flail and could cover serious ground hedge cutting... these days I try it and rip the ligaments in my shoulders after two hours so I've given it up this year as I could not climb for two months at the beginning of the year after a hedge cutting injury, boring thankless and low paid and hedge cutters seem to be the most temperamental machines so I see no point in doing them now... I'll only climb 3 days a week now but will do a lot of trees in those days and to be fair I'd probably not be doing that if it was not for SRT.
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Climbing is easier than lifting and shifting wood by hand.

58 this year, still at it.

Don’t go anywhere on the tree twice, plan your route and be sure it’s all done before moving to the next section.

All depends on what you’re doing.

Some reductions are the hardest work I’ve done.

• Like 2