Excavator cone splitter idea

pembswoodrecycling

Hi all,

I have an intermacato grab with a rotator on my 6 ton doosan digger.

im wondering if rather than buying a cone splitter as a separate attachment, could I either buy or build one that I could hold with the grab and use the grab’s rotator to turn it?

has anyone seen one or can think of any problems with this idea?

Hi all,
I have an intermacato grab with a rotator on my 6 ton doosan digger.
im wondering if rather than buying a cone splitter as a separate attachment, could I either buy or build one that I could hold with the grab and use the grab’s rotator to turn it?
has anyone seen one or can think of any problems with this idea?
Your grab definitely won't have the torque for that, either that or you'll wreck it!!

If you're doing it for oversize logs, it's certainly worth considering how awkward your customers are because it can make some messy looking logs in the end. Much tidier presentation if you ring them and split with a vertical splitter or something like the fuelwood splitta 400

1 hour ago, SbTVF said:

Your grab definitely won't have the torque for that, either that or you'll wreck it!!

If you're doing it for oversize logs, it's certainly worth considering how awkward your customers are because it can make some messy looking logs in the end. Much tidier presentation if you ring them and split with a vertical splitter or something like the fuelwood splitta 400

The torque issue is what I was wondering about.

We produce all our logs from arb waste, so anything big gets ringed and split, just looking for a way to break down big rings into something sensible to lift by hand without spending too much time or money on it.

maybe a big horizontal splitter I can load with the grab would be a better setup.

Scratched my head a bit with this and thought If it was me simply trying to split some big rings to something more manageable and already had excavator with Intermercato grab.

I’d probably look into purchasing or building a simple big vertical splitter and putting it on a mount or base plate (road plate or the like)that the machine can put it’s blade down on to keep solid.

Put a couple of taps and quick fits on the blade to plug into the pipework and power the splitter from the comfort of the cab whilst you feed it.

Ideal if you can still make use of the splitter elsewhere on three point linkage or the like.

Eddie.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, doobin said:

Good idea, but the problem will be trying to get the round into the splitter so close to the blade. Geometry will be all to cock. 

I think an 8ft plate would keep it far enough away and be easy to push/drag slide about.

• Like 1

What I tend to do at the moment is to have the splitter and powerpack on the deck of the tipper, and load the rounds with the micro and grab. There's a lot to be said for working at a comfortable height!

For breaking down BIG rounds (that won't fit onto the splitter deck without falling off), I think I might try locking the spool on the splitter on, and a headstock plate on the back to pick it up with the digger and place it over the round.

Or I might chance a JB equipment cone splitter. Not a lot of money compared to the black splitter, and the pecker and wacker I had off them have been OK so far.

WWW.JBEQUIPMENT.CO.UK

An ideal, compact solution for splitting timber, roots and firewood quickly and effectively. Available to fit excavators...

Edited by doobin

It’s all what works for you really.

I supply the version of cone splitter by Approved Hydraulics and these are cheap enough but very effective units.

However as you’re basically sitting on a mobile warm dry powepack, and if it’s for occasional oversize rings then a whatever works for you solution I’m certain could be engineered cheaply/easily enough.

Eddie.

1 hour ago, LGP Eddie said:

It’s all what works for you really.

I supply the version of cone splitter by Approved Hydraulics and these are cheap enough but very effective units.

However as you’re basically sitting on a mobile warm dry powepack, and if it’s for occasional oversize rings then a whatever works for you solution I’m certain could be engineered cheaply/easily enough.

Eddie.

You guys have got too much time on your hands......... that pile must have taken about a month or more to create at that pace.