New wood stove rusting after being installed - thoughts please?

27 minutes ago, carbs for arbs said:

@monkeybusiness - fair play, thanks for sharing your thoughts on it.  Didn't realise that RE the baffle plates.  Or rather, I knew they needed replacing sometimes but not that often. 

So presumably the inside walls of your Clearviews have similar amounts of rust?  

Cheers

You can’t see that much steel on the inside walls of my Clearviews as they are lined with fire bricks. Any exposed steel is rusty though, yes.

Thanks @Gav73 - that's good a re-assuring to hear.  And would you say the inside walls have the same level of rust?  Can you remember if it rusted up soon after getting it?  

Cheers

Couldn’t tell you about the inside walls, mine are covered up by side boilers, same with the top. What I can say is ours is set up with the flue out the top, there is the option for a rear flue and I can see that has a dusting of surface rust. Nothing drastic or concerning.

I have a Stovax Riva. It is lined with firebricks so can't see the steel walls. We replaced the secondary baffle as it rusted after a pile of soot rested on it we didn't find and it overheated a tad - circa 10 years use. I made a replacement and it has rusted but has lasted for a fair few years.

The primary baffle went through after some 15 years and fitted a new stainless one which looks and works well.

These items do rust, logs will contain a little water and when you burn logs, that and a bit of water will corrode steel parts, same as your car exhaust rots through. 

I guess a lot depends on the thickness of those fire parts that are rusting. If they are say 3mm+thick, I wouldn't worry but if they are much thinner then more concern should be shown and would expect fire bricks to line the firebox if the walls are thin gauge.

There are a few fitters on this site who should be able to help further than us mere end users;)

4 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I just naturally assumed the fire box would be lined with vermiculite board , or bricks , is it not ?

Yes, sorry, you're right - it does have firebricks, I should have said.  They were removed when we were checking and for the photos.

Thanks for all the additional replies.  All very helpful stuff

Our 9kw Woodwarm is now 20yr old and had rust in the firebox when we bought it, after being in a large warehouse for a few weeks.  Not surprising really as background moisture will always cause a bit of rust on untreated steel.
Replaced the baffle a couple of times and the log guard every other year or so.  Boiler has been replaced with a stainless one about 5 yrs ago.

Good stove that never fails to deliver for us

_PTL5129.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply and photo @bilke_user   Lovely dog!  They're good at getting the best spot aren't they?  When the fire wasn't going earlier in the year, ours developed a habit of sitting on the hearth and looking at us as if to say "What are you bloody waiting for - it's cold in 'ere!!"

Interesting and re-assuring to hear yours had internal rust even before you'd used it.  How has that developed over the years?  Has it got progressively worse or settled down?  Have you ever treated it in any way?  

As for the log guard, I'm surprised to hear you've had to change it that frequently.  What's been happening to it?  Warping, burning through, or ???  

Cheers

18 hours ago, bilke_user said:

Our 9kw Woodwarm is now 20yr old and had rust in the firebox when we bought it, after being in a large warehouse for a few weeks.  Not surprising really as background moisture will always cause a bit of rust on untreated steel.
Replaced the baffle a couple of times and the log guard every other year or so.  Boiler has been replaced with a stainless one about 5 yrs ago.

Good stove that never fails to deliver for us

_PTL5129.jpg

Nice working cocker . 🙂

Thanks for the reply and photo @bilke_user   Lovely dog!  They're good at getting the best spot aren't they?  When the fire wasn't going earlier in the year, ours developed a habit of sitting on the hearth and looking at us as if to say "What are you bloody waiting for - it's cold in 'ere!!"

Interesting and re-assuring to hear yours had internal rust even before you'd used it.  How has that developed over the years?  Has it got progressively worse or settled down?  Have you ever treated it in any way?  

As for the log guard, I'm surprised to hear you've had to change it that frequently.  What's been happening to it?  Warping, burning through, or ???  

Cheers

You do realise heat accelerates oxidisation, right?

I genuinely feel instruction manuals are dumbed down for certain customers…..