Best way to clean paint off brick?

Squaredy

I am after some advice...I am hoping to clean the paint from the brick of my house.  I am considering soda blasting, and have found a local firm willing to do this, but as yet I do not know how effective it will be.

I think chemical stripping is out of the question for DIY (45 square metres or so).

The bottom couple of feet is sort of stripping itself, but sadly the majority is still sound.

The reason I want to strip the paint off is largely about future maintenance, but also about allowing the bricks to breathe as I do have some damp here and there.  Looking at the pics it is only the ground floor I am referring to - the upper section is painted rough cast which is fine.

IMG_5392.JPG

IMG_5399.JPG

15 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Easiest way to clear that is to sand blast it off gav. Depending on how hard or soft the brick is will determine what type of shot they would use 

Yeah; but some say you risk damaging the brick and making it vulnerable to frost damage.  I know how badly bricks can get frost damaged so I am wary...

Old brick buildings across the country have a tendency to get painted over the years by owners looking to “improve” their look. Whether its just a chimney or the whole building that’s...

I would talk to Strippers of Sudbury and take their advice. And yes, they do supply the right sort of strippers! Some of what they can supply just needs application, wait, pressure-wash and does an excellent job. Much quicker than you might think as it goes on with a big wallpaper paste type brush.

Alec

1 minute ago, topchippyles said:

One look at those bricks and an experienced guy would know straight away. As you know i am up in beaufort and all the bricks around this area are like granite. 

Well yes I remember being told that the Whitehouse is built of Beaufort brick....but I have never managed to confirm it.  Funny how there were brickworks all over the valleys and yet there is so little about this in the museums and online.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squaredy said:

Well yes I remember being told that the Whitehouse is built of Beaufort brick....but I have never managed to confirm it.  Funny how there were brickworks all over the valleys and yet there is so little about this in the museums and online.

The base of the empire state building was built in beaufort brick.

3 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I have a a blaster here gav and have done loads of old beams covered in paint and no damage or marks left what so ever. Just get a feel for it and if its a little harsh you pull further away giving a greater distance.