UK Windfarms “Lost opportunities “

Johnsond

Not sure if many people who see the huge eventually Uk tax payer funded free for all that is currently happening all around our coastline in regards the installation of wind turbines and associated infrastructure ie sub stations and cables etc,  actually stop to think where it comes from. Yes we have all the politicians talking about how we are a world leader In green energy and some lovely well made tv commercials but in reality we are a world leader in buying in overseas manufactured eqpt to build and install these windfarms resulting in billions of pounds of profits and thousands of potential jobs and the benefits this would bring to communities going overseas to the cheapest bidders, often China the Far East or UAE. Never mind the so called green credentials 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️These things are shipped half way around the world once made to be installed by foreign flagged vessels with mainly foreign crews in UK waters. Why ??? Simple answer is the long term profits are astronomical for these companies. This is shaping up to be a wasted opportunity on the scale of the Uk N Sea oil boom of the 70s yet its hardly known about. The few pics attached are just a fragment of the info out there if you look for it. The numbers ie money involved is staggering. 

A625408F-1104-4FE1-B043-CFF583EFEA9D.png

3AA2BC86-537D-4131-8462-6EA53DB13FEE.png

E6FC7B44-52F6-4DAE-8815-039913FF87D7.png

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Not sure if many people who see the huge eventually Uk tax payer funded free for all that is currently happening all around our coastline in regards the installation of wind turbines and associated infrastructure ie sub stations and cables etc,  actually stop to think where it comes from. Yes we have all the politicians talking about how we are a world leader In green energy and some lovely well made tv commercials but in reality we are a world leader in buying in overseas manufactured eqpt to build and install these windfarms resulting in billions of pounds of profits and thousands of potential jobs and the benefits this would bring to communities going overseas to the cheapest bidders, often China the Far East or UAE. Never mind the so called green credentials 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️These things are shipped half way around the world once made to be installed by foreign flagged vessels with mainly foreign crews in UK waters. Why ??? Simple answer is the long term profits are astronomical for these companies. This is shaping up to be a wasted opportunity on the scale of the Uk N Sea oil boom of the 70s yet its hardly known about. The few pics attached are just a fragment of the info out there if you look for it. The numbers ie money involved is staggering. 

A625408F-1104-4FE1-B043-CFF583EFEA9D.png

3AA2BC86-537D-4131-8462-6EA53DB13FEE.png

E6FC7B44-52F6-4DAE-8815-039913FF87D7.png

Yes . Its been said on here before . Briton does not have a manufacturing industry any more . 

• Like 3

I can see the need for the green revolution due to man-made climate change but our politicians view of how to do it makes me lose all hope ☹

It's unbelievable that we are being handicapped with a legacy of high energy costs just so they can virtue signal on the world stage.

China is promising to do their  bit but I'd guess only once they have run out of more profitable export markets, and in the meantime coal is king 😡

It won't be long before we'll be back to sending aid to wealthier countries in the form of tree planting schemes and wonder why they view us as clowns 😕

Edited by Canal Navvy
Spelling

37 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Yes . Its been said on here before . Briton does not have a manufacturing industry any more . 

If ever there was an opportunity to try and put it back in place this is it though Stubby, the lack of government legislation or drive to help on this is disgusting, both Westminster and Holyrood. Tens of thousands of skilled jobs and the benefits that would bring are what we are throwing away yes it may take years to get there but surely we have to start somewhere and look at a long term vision or plan of how things should be rather than just a quick buck as we did with NSea oil. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

If ever there was an opportunity to try and put it back in place this is it though Stubby, the lack of government legislation or drive to help on this is disgusting, both Westminster and Holyrood. Tens of thousands of skilled jobs and the benefits that would bring are what we are throwing away yes it may take years to get there but surely we have to start somewhere and look at a long term vision or plan of how things should be rather than just a quick buck as we did with NSea oil. 

Agree absolutely .

The question that needs to be asked is "Why can't UK firms compete?"  In the example given above GE are not a firm based in a developing country with super low wage costs, so how are they more competitive than us? 

I am all in favour of local industry (in fact I would describe myself as a globalism-sceptic) but I do understand why over the years so much manufacturing has left these shores.

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

The question that needs to be asked is "Why can't UK firms compete?"  In the example given above GE are not a firm based in a developing country with super low wage costs, so how are they more competitive than us? 

I am all in favour of local industry (in fact I would describe myself as a globalism-sceptic) but I do understand why over the years so much manufacturing has left these shores.

Predominantly manufactured in the middle and Far East inc China. Wages etc but a number of other reasons as well. End of the day we have to at some point to start looking long term at building some sort of manufacturing base  back up. Let’s not forget these companies do not give a shit about green energy in the UK they see this as a huge payday and will build everything they can in the cheapest yard they can find. Legislated minimum local content has to be put in place at the beginning of any contract negotiations. 
Just an example of the profits being made 🙄 these firms are absolutely piling in to undertake these projects  and one things fore sure it’s not for the greater good of the environment or they’d build them on the doorstep and save the environmental impact of multiple journeys halfway round the world. It has to be if you want to put it around the coast here and UK consumers are gonna pay you have to build it here 🤷‍♂️Simple. 

6E5A1BF1-5CD3-4329-8C47-09B0ED73D3E1.png

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1