Price of larch, Douglas Fir & Spruce

Friends, 

I own a woodland and wonder this: I have quite a few hundred each of larch, douglas fir and spruce. If we assume they are all tall and straight (around 50 years old) and placed roadside, what might I expect to sell them for? Any difference between these three species?  hads the price of these trees gone up recently?  

Thanks so much. I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Steve

24 minutes ago, Welshsteve said:

Friends, 

I own a woodland and wonder this: I have quite a few hundred each of larch, douglas fir and spruce. If we assume they are all tall and straight (around 50 years old) and placed roadside, what might I expect to sell them for? Any difference between these three species?  hads the price of these trees gone up recently?  

Thanks so much. I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Steve

I assume you have looked into (or already obtained) the felling license?  

I may be a little out of date but the lengths that are large enough to mill should be worth maybe £70 or £80 per ton.  The lengths that are only firewood will be worth half this.

Of course, this also assumes there is access for a full size timber lorry.

All timber has been at all time high of late but it has started to drop a little lately for the very same reason your asking and now most mills are near full capacity, there has been a few people i know of who have jumped on the band wagon with timber this last 18 mth, some have been lucky and got there felling licence granted back when timber prices where on the rise to say £75-80 tonne but time they got the timber to roadside it was at £110 tonne, so i think you may of mist the boat this time but it may drop say £25-30 a tonne and hold steady for another 6 monthes or so like it did in 2012/2013,, timber needs to cut to the correct lenghs and in the right stack at roadside, O/S, 4.9 3.7 3.1 mtr saw logs 2.5 pallet wood 2.2 strainer,s 1.9 bars and then chip/firewood, But felling lience first or you will be getting a visit from the FC, 

• Like 2

For tidy milling I would say £80-100 roadside and £45-50 for any chipwood. There's stuff selling for £100+ standing in mid Wales but I can't see that lasting.

I would pay more for Douglas and Larch than spruce.

Edited by gdh
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Whaaaaaat!

IMG_3547.jpg

I can have as much of this as I want for £35 a ton delivered. emoji16.png

I reckon your nipping round the back of the log stack with who ever your getting that off 😂😂 Good price that so fill your yard,,,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, spuddog0507 said:

I reckon your nipping round the back of the log stack with who ever your getting that off 😂😂 Good price that so fill your yard,,,

I’ll buy as much as the piggybank allows. I’m getting to keep as much as I want up on his farm as I’ll be milling then moulding logs up there as I have a workshop there as well. Free use of the Avant if I buy 100t as well. 😁

• Like 2

My word - such variation in prices?  And the difference between species?

Douglas Fir - is that more valuable than spruce of larch? 

I have been approached by someone I know reasonably well to fell these trees, and buy them off me. I was just wondering about roadside prices.

One other question: Assuming fairly easy access and other practicalities are sorted like the felling licence, what should I sell the wood for if he does the extraction?

Many thanks, Steve