Metal Detector Question

Bob_z_l

Hi All,

After damaging a couple of milling chains I realise a detector would be a handy purchase.

However also noting this is a hobby and also being cheap until something proves it's value.

I wondered If these Wand type detectors are any good?  Has anyone tried them?

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

<p dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">TRYFUN Sensitive Hand-held Metal Detector. NEW.</p> <br> <br> <p dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">New in box...

and 

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Model: DM3004A. Alarm: buzzer sound/LED alarm. LED indicator: working and low battery prompt. Long-lasting battery life: using smart power-saving technology, low power...

Or do I really need to spend £100 or more?

Recommendations???

Cheers

Bob

Edited by Bob_z_l
spelling

3 hours ago, Bob_z_l said:

Hi All,

After damaging a couple of milling chains I realise a detector would be a handy purchase.

However also noting this is a hobby and also being cheap until something proves it's value.

I wondered If these Wand type detectors are any good?  Has anyone tried them?

<p dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">TRYFUN Sensitive Hand-held Metal Detector. NEW.</p> <br> <br> <p dir="ltr" style="margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0;">New in box...

and 

Model: DM3004A. Alarm: buzzer sound/LED alarm. LED indicator: working and low battery prompt. Long-lasting battery life: using smart power-saving technology, low power...

Or do I really need to spend £100 or more?

Recommendations???

Cheers

Bob

I think Id go for a known branded one

• Thanks 1

Cheap metal detectors are crap. You need at least one that allows you to adjust the sensitivity, as dense wet wood may be hard to penetrate. And of course for it to be of any practical use in avoiding wrecked chains it needs to be precise too. Maybe look at one of the multi detectors that builders use to detect pipes, wires, studs etc. in walls? That at least gives you a chance of direction being quite narrow.

If I couldn't pin down the location of a nail well enough to avoid hitting it, I'd rather not know it's there, otherwise you're just waiting for that sickening impact as you plough through a vague foot length that has something metal somewhere in it. Like russian roulette.

This looks good.

WWW.WICKES.CO.UK

Bosch Professional GMS 120 Multi Detector

Edited by daltontrees
  • Thanks 1

I'm using a wand type detector today Bob. No idea of the price but it's been pretty effective at maybe a couple of inches depth in hardwood, and fairly accurate as only indicates when metal directly under it.

Found several bits of metal to dig out before going on the mill.

There were 3 nails buried together here and it located them in quite a small area as you can see.

DSC_0882.thumb.JPG.2943641488a9d696d12b1604eb28e780.JPG

DSC_0883.thumb.JPG.3ca631517a4f2c4de5f0dc6aa5f2a16d.JPG

Edited by Doug Tait
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

I'm using a wand type detector today Bob. No idea of the price but it's been pretty effective at maybe a couple of inches depth in hardwood, and fairly accurate as only indicates when metal directly under it.

Cheers Doug. 

This helps me greatly.

Cheers

Bob

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doug Tait said:

If you've any questions about it I can ask the boss and the miller who it belongs to this afternoon. 

Many thanks. For the £15-20 I can get one for I'm prepared to give it a go.

If it doesn't work it'll go straight back on ebay and I'll move on.

Thanks.

Bob

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

There were 3 nails buried together here and it located them in quite a small area as you can see.

I stand corrected. Much sharpening saved there.

• Like 2

You could try a standard "Treasure Hunters" metal detector. There are older ones on eBay for around £30 and they will go down to a good depth if it is a decent brand like C Scope, Garret etc 

6" - 8" detecting depth is quite possible on a nail, especially after it has been in wood a long time as the nail rusts, putting salts in to the area around the nail making a better target.

As above. I picked up a Tesoro detector, a switch on and go variant that is still good enough to be used by keen metal detectorists for just over 100 quid. I don't think thats much really considering what can happen to an expensive chain otherwise and you'd probably sell it for same money 3 years from now if not required