Workshop paints

Ratman

Hi all, at the stage of painting my workshop floor and walls. Floors only gona take foot traffic and probably a motorbike at some point in the future, i want something thats gona be hard wearing, oil / grease / petrol resistant.

The walls i’d like to be the same really, scrubbable from splatter etc of cleaning stuff off and working next to them on the worktops, any good recommendations? Cost is not really an issue, just want to do it once and do it right if i can.

Floor is currently bare concrete laid in may 19, walls were bare plastered but have used emulsion to prime them so far.

For a pukka job, you’re going to want to grind the floor down (not easy on green concrete, and I’m assuming you didn’t power float it) and get a decent two part resin paint down. No point putting a decent coat of paint down on a tamped finish! 

Not a quick or easy job- which is why I’ve never got around to it! 🤣

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, doobin said:

For a pukka job, you’re going to want to grind the floor down (not easy on green concrete, and I’m assuming you didn’t power float it) and get a decent two part resin paint down. No point putting a decent coat of paint down on a tamped finish! 

Not a quick or easy job- which is why I’ve never got around to it! 🤣

I am after a pukka job in my shed, mostly because it will be used for food processing (squashing apples).

The floor is concrete which is over a year old so I am assuming it's not green any more. It wasn't power floated but was floated with one of those things on a long blue pole and the surface is smooth. I understand it will need grinding/polishing to get the surface ready but I am concerned about it having fibres in the concrete, will that be an issue?

1 hour ago, Peasgood said:

I am after a pukka job in my shed, mostly because it will be used for food processing (squashing apples).

The floor is concrete which is over a year old so I am assuming it's not green any more. It wasn't power floated but was floated with one of those things on a long blue pole and the surface is smooth. I understand it will need grinding/polishing to get the surface ready but I am concerned about it having fibres in the concrete, will that be an issue?

If it was well floated by someone who knew what they are doing, then you should be fine with a high build two pack epoxy. Usually when someone says shed floor, I imagine some rough as a badgers arse tamped finish.

You'll want all the gear for doing it right- spiked roller, spiked shoes, a good mixer- and you really can't hang about! Enlist help.

Rubberised paints were OK in their day, but whilst they'd be first port of call for a dairy parlour there are much better options for an industrial floor.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

I floated floor off myself, its pretty good tbh, not just tamped off, like i say its not a heavy loaded up floor for motors etc, will just be for my little feet to potter about on an prob park a motor bike in at a later stage

We used a 2 part epoxy paint but had to use a acid wash first, that was just poured out and brushed round with a broom. If I remember rightly we had to leave it 48hrs after the acid wash then hose it off and leave it to dry again for a few days. (The floor was only a month old at the time)

It’s worn well but has chipped from metal and machines on it in small patches and flaked from a small brake fluid spill. Non of the damage has spread from the initial damage. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...