Rippling problem with Lucas mill

Dave Bartlett

Hello, I’m new to milling and have just got going with a second hand Lucas Mill 8/30. I’m having a problem with my slabbing attachment giving a rippled finish to the timber. I’m using a new ripping chain and am going as slow as possible with it, the bar hasn’t done a lot of work, so isn’t particularly worn and I’m using plenty of thin engine oil but still getting a lot of rippling. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated. Many thanks, Dave

Your problem will be one of the following in order of likeliness.
Bad chain. But you say its brand new so.
Bar missaligned with rails. Go through all bar alignment procedures. Will probably need shimming front to back to get it spot on. Put a straight edge front to back on bar and measure against frame to check.
Rails are out of parallel to each other.
Bar is worn either, rails out of square or the Groove is too wide.
You will always get some rippling but a properly set up slabber will be minimal.
I assume your using a 5 skip chain.?
Please upload some photos of the quality of cut and I may be able to advise.

59 minutes ago, Dave Bartlett said:

I’ve levelled up the rails, so they’re parallel, I’ve also levelled up the bar the way you said. I don’t think the bar is particularly worn and I’ve tried cutting at different chain tensions all with the same results.

20B1A294-A97A-4C0D-9DF0-1FAAE2E94C2D.jpeg

9936F2D3-3E86-4350-98E2-CCF1105422DC.jpeg

61B83168-D17B-4663-85EC-F8D19B20753D.jpeg

21631F65-D8AF-4806-959E-47621F0669EB.jpeg

There was another recent thread about this . Put in a search you might find the answer .

Make sure you've not got a chisel chain on. Contra to what you expect the super sharp angles actually produce a rough cut. Semi chisel is acceptable and easily found, old fashioned, round cornered chipper chain when you can find it is excellent.
Whatever you use, get a set of calipers for sharpening to make sure all cutters are the same length on both sides. Look down the bar with the chain in place and spin it round to make sure you dont have any bent teeth - it easily happens on cheap chains when you smack into hard knots across the grain. Knots and twisted grain in your logs will always force deflection in the chain. It does the same on bandsaws just the visible results are finer as the cutting area (the tiny tip) is so much smaller.
Let the chain dictate the forward speed. Putting on more pressure almost always produces more deflection in the chain and in my experience was most guaranteed to produce the effects you're getting or worse. Fresh felled timber produces your results less than older dried logs .
Cutter angles of between 0 to 10° would rarely produce washboard effects but speed would be painfully slow. As I was cutting commercially on contract I would increase cutting speed with between 15 - 20° cutter angles but the quality of cut surface would be rougher. You'll be astounded how often you have to lightly polish the edge on the slabber. I would always go to work with 6 spare chains, and edge them gently at end of each day and lunch breaks with a cheap lidls electric sharpener off an inverter on the land rover .
Dont forget the lucas is a primary converter of timber unless your going over previously sawn and dried stable boards with a planer head. Its always going to be rough, not finished quality. Once its dried and done all of its movement , plane it out.
Shaun