Purchasing of woodland

Chrisdisco

Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts on this. I guess lotting companies are really the only option for small plots. I didn't realise that is was only 6 weeks before the land was yours. I had assumed it would take 3-4 months like buying a house.

Does anyone have any recommendations for solicitors and what sort of prices they charge? I haven't actually found a plot yet but just getting my ducks in a row ready! I have only contacted a local company so far and they are quoting around £1300. Not sure if that's a good or bad price!

I am currently looking as well in Cumbria/borders, prices are a bit mental at the moment. None of the split up woods seem suitable in terms of access/size/price or common sense. I have viewed some that have mature pine/larch to extract but you can t get it out, the stacking area  for each small wood is far too small etc. SO only use is for amenity. Other issue is being surrounded by several other owners who will no doubt take dim view of tree felling etc! The idea is to use horse logging but that is not on my agenda if I am doing firewood etc myself.

These split woods also have a list of clauses and clawback agreements that is again not desirable unless you plan to do nothing with it!

All I can see is it is creating an unmanageable woodland area due to too many owners and shared access etc. Not ideal! Seen a few estate agent woods recently sold that are more suitable and more sensibly priced but I haven't been in the right place at the right time yet!

Mine was clear felled and in the first year of growth planted with natives ( grant last owner prob made a mint!) 4/5 years on its completlly different the somme battlefield we bought. 10 to 15 ft A lot more fecking brambles anyway and still picking up logs and rings for the fire lol

9 hours ago, Logrover said:

I am currently looking as well in Cumbria/borders, prices are a bit mental at the moment. None of the split up woods seem suitable in terms of access/size/price or common sense. I have viewed some that have mature pine/larch to extract but you can t get it out, the stacking area  for each small wood is far too small etc. SO only use is for amenity. Other issue is being surrounded by several other owners who will no doubt take dim view of tree felling etc! The idea is to use horse logging but that is not on my agenda if I am doing firewood etc myself.

These split woods also have a list of clauses and clawback agreements that is again not desirable unless you plan to do nothing with it!

All I can see is it is creating an unmanageable woodland area due to too many owners and shared access etc. Not ideal! Seen a few estate agent woods recently sold that are more suitable and more sensibly priced but I haven't been in the right place at the right time yet!

Sounds like you’d need a Logbullet! 😁 Give me a shout if the need ever arises 👍🏻

So I was talking to Lady that was running a course I was on about woodland. Turns that there is a community bought woodland 10 minutes up the road from me. She bought a share when it first started up 10 years. They thought the idea was great and decided to help out finically but never got involved with the running of the project.

She has agreed to sell me her share (in a round about way), and I think this might be the prefect place to start. You can book out the woodland for use and contribute your time as much or as little as you want. There is a small optional contribution towards running costs but its not much. I do realise there are pros and cons (and probably that one awkward person that rubs everyone up the wrong way), but I thought it might be worth a go.

Edited by Chrisdisco

So I was talking to Lady that was running a course I was on about woodland. Turns that there is a community bought woodland 10 minutes up the road from me. She bought a share when it first started up 10 years. They thought the idea was great and decided to help out finically but never got involved with the running of the project.

She has agreed to sell me her share (in a round about way), and I think this might be the prefect place to start. You can book out the woodland for use and contribute your time as much or as little as you want. There is a small optional contribution towards running costs but its not much. I do realise there are pros and cons (and probably that one awkward person that rubs everyone up the wrong way), but I thought it might be worth a go.

Sounds worse than a timeshare.
  • Like 1