Bank Bail-ins [rather than Bail-outs]

Rob D

Don't think this is anything in immediate future - but something to keep on your radar for the future maybe.

Bank bail ins are where the banks in effect take your cash and then issue shares [to keep themselves solvent] does seem to be a considered tool. You're supposed to be protected up to £85k in the UK - although I read the below and wonder.. [link to gov website below].

image.png.d6aa9cc504ca519ae4fbe2cea88f8eec.png

It says a 'higher priority ranking in insolvency' - which seems to me to have room for interpretation!

Why bring it up now? A YouTuber I follow was talking about this - and on 22nd July 2021 Bank of England published this below [which is almost impossible for a layman to understand]. Makes me wonder why they are 'prepping the paperwork now'?

Today, the Bank of England published Executing bail-in: an operational guide from the Bank of England.

This did happen in Cyprus in 2015 [plenty vids on youtube]

What can you do about it? Not sure really - and if you don't have much in the bank then I guess it doesn't matter... It may never happen but thought I'd post it on here to see what folks reckon or as a heads up. We use paypal for all our payment processes - I checked their terms and conditions pretty well and in effect you are lending them the money with all liability on you ie. if they lose it - tough! It's on you the customer not them!

If you owe the bank more than you have then again - not sure they can do much.

3 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Even more reason to put your money in crypto!

Yep stable coins in a private wallet where only you have the keys - as if this happened your Bitcoin would be safe - but worth a lot less $$ value for a while!

But on a third party app like Crypto.com - could they class those as savings and take a slice of them as well? Same as stocks and shares... I can't understand all the small print in the above 😅