Stihl MSA 161T

breffni

Is the battery itself in working order? Get a lot of machines in that say there not working, put one of our batteries in and they work a treat. Have you tried another battery? Otherwise it could be the motor. 

9 hours ago, gand said:

Is the battery itself in working order? Get a lot of machines in that say there not working, put one of our batteries in and they work a treat. Have you tried another battery? Otherwise it could be the motor. 

Ye I've tried 4 batteries in total. No luck. Is there anything I could do if it's the motor or should I just bring it to a dealer? 

The trouble with these electric bits of kit when they don't run, they just flash red lights at you and it usually means they need plugging  in to the diagnostic kit and that is a dealer or someone that has spent out £450 on the kit!

These machines don't talk to you, it is either full chat or total absolutely nothing!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, breffni said:

Has anyone had an issue with the Stihl MSA 161T not running? I've cleaned the battery contacts and stripped it down and cleaned it but it's no joy. 

Yes but generally its chain to tight or jammed. seems to be a cutout somewhere. normally a good clean and away it goes. chain tensioner is a bit weird. Shouldn't be to to hard to diagnose? if you know your way round a multimeter?

definitely going to be a market for someone who can diagnose and fettle these ..."bionic spud"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stihllymok said:

Yes but generally its chain to tight or jammed. seems to be a cutout somewhere. normally a good clean and away it goes. chain tensioner is a bit weird. Shouldn't be to to hard to diagnose? if you know your way round a multimeter?

definitely going to be a market for someone who can diagnose and fettle these ..."bionic spud"?

Are you sure the oilers working correctly? That's what they usually come in for and a warranty issue 

8 hours ago, Stihllymok said:

Shouldn't be to to hard to diagnose? if you know your way round a multimeter?

Unfortunately I do and have done electronics, computers as well as engines, cars, bikes and a multitude of other stuff including fitting double glazing and beyond the simple checks, a multimeter is unfortunately, pretty useless. 

2 hours ago, spudulike said:

Unfortunately I do and have done electronics, computers as well as engines, cars, bikes and a multitude of other stuff including fitting double glazing and beyond the simple checks, a multimeter is unfortunately, pretty useless. 

Aye but surely you can carry out basic fault finding like is power getting to motor etc?

At the end of the day it's a battery,switch and motor plus few sensors? But I'm probably been a bit simplistic ...not opened mine up yet to be honest.

Can't help feel that this green "battery" revolution isn't quite so green when the tools are slung in the bin at the end of their life unlike 200Ts which seem destined to outlive their owners! 

Edited by Stihllymok