Bandsaw mill build

Malus

5 hours ago, Malus said:

Thanks for pics, they speak a thousand words. In hindsight it would have been better to have vertical rails like yours but I couldn't find any suitable wheels.

What are those bars hanging down from the sawhead? Are they some sort of board return? 

Yep as you return the carriage they pull the board off the rear.

Had a nice morning out this morning, had lunch and then had a bit of a nightmare afternoon.. Turns out my bench isn't perfectly flat so when I welded the saw beam together it ended up slightly twisted, probably about 1.5-2mm out. I thought it was pretty critical to get it flat seeing as it's what the bearings and wheels are going to mount to. Had an almighty faff getting it apart and then welded nice and square. I clamped it all to my log bunks, by far the flattest/most level things within a mile of my shed. Anyway in the end I got it welded up nice and flat. 

Now for the major cockup. Seeing as I had the saw beam welded up and the parts that slide up and down sorted, I clamped them together and gave them a test. The sliders were binding a little bit so gave it a bit more oomph and guess what... I lifted the carriage off the rails. It came down with a bit of a crash, twatted me on the head a bit but got off lightly. I managed to get it back up onto the rails ok, but since it was only tacked together it's twisted out of shape a bit so one of the wheels is out of line and raised up off the rail. I left it there for the night and came in for a shower and some dinner. 

Most days I do something stupid and wonder how I got away with it. Today I just did something stupid.

Was a bit pi55ed off at the time but now at least I can laugh at the irony, those comments about putting on some sort of carriage retainer came at just the right time but I though I'd do it later. 

Tomorrow's another day, I'll take a better look at the carriage if I get a chance tomorrow. I'm probably going to have to cut all the tacks and start again, might be easier than endlessly bending bits too far, then too far back the other way. 

5 hours ago, Justme said:

Looking great. 

You should post on the migweld forum too.

As you plan to use it on other sites to recoup some costs you will need to take it for an IVA to legalise the trailer build.

Thanks! I hand't thought of that, I've followed a few threads on there. 

Yeah I have to say I'm dreading the IVA, the requirements for positioning of all the lights etc seem like they might be a bit of a pain on a sawmill. Also the thing that's worrying me most is that I think new trailers need a reversing light, but I highly doubt the 7 pig socket on my truck has a reversing light wired in. Thinking about it do any 7 pig plugs have reverse lights? 

47 minutes ago, Watercourse management said:

Yep as you return the carriage they pull the board off the rear.

Nice. Do you find it worthwhile? 

Do you push your mill along as you saw or has it got some kind of drive? 

1 hour ago, Malus said:

Yeah I have to say I'm dreading the IVA, the requirements for positioning of all the lights etc seem like they might be a bit of a pain on a sawmill. Also the thing that's worrying me most is that I think new trailers need a reversing light, but I highly doubt the 7 pig socket on my truck has a reversing light wired in. Thinking about it do any 7 pig plugs have reverse lights? 

12n 7 pin does not but adding the 12S 7 pin plug does.

Better to just change to the 13pin version.

1 hour ago, Malus said:

Just wire in a reverse light to trailer and use adapter on car 

25 minutes ago, dumper said:

Just wire in a reverse light to trailer and use adapter on car 

You cant use an adapter to add features.

Currently all 7 wires on the cars 12n socket are in use.

You need to add an extra socket (12s) or change to 13 pin.

Edited by Justme

35 minutes ago, Justme said:

You cant use an adapter to add features.

Currently all 7 wires on the cars 12n socket are in use.

You need to add an extra socket (12s) or change to 13 pin.

So you are saying my defender 12 n socket can’t tow a trailer wired with a 13 pin plug via an adapter

8 hours ago, dumper said:

So you are saying my defender 12 n socket can’t tow a trailer wired with a 13 pin plug via an adapter

You can but you will only get the functions wired to your 7 pin socket on your truck not the extra functions of the 13 pin.

• Like 1