Getting rid of ivy!!

john87

10 hours ago, CambridgeJC said:

Here is an informed comment by another “junior” member with experience and ability to engage on this important issue without resorting to provocation to other contributors who may not have the same level of knowledge or experience as he clearly has. I believe the time has come to engage a wider audience to this subject as this ivy invasion will develop in short time to the point it becomes impossible to control. Please help me to engage as many people in this arborist community for their consideration of this issue. Time is running out for wider action which can only occur if the problem is raised across this beautiful land. 

Here we go again😂😂

• Like 1

On 09/04/2022 at 13:16, CambridgeJC said:

Yep…🤣🤣🤣

Well, i think it is perfectly correct what you are saying.. I know of LOADS of healthy trees covered with ivy right up the tops. Myself, i think it is a management issue, but like where the council cannot be arsed to maintain public parks so just bang in a sign saying "nature area" Problem is, all the halfwits cannot understand that what they term the "countryside" looks the way it does through management, not just being left to go wild as it were..

john..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, john87 said:

Well, i think it is perfectly correct what you are saying.. I know of LOADS of healthy trees covered with ivy right up the tops. Myself, i think it is a management issue, but like where the council cannot be arsed to maintain public parks so just bang in a sign saying "nature area" Problem is, all the halfwits cannot understand that what they term the "countryside" looks the way it does through management, not just being left to go wild as it were..

john..

OK. Here goes…

Our countryside has an enemy within. 
A hitherto benign member of our natural flora, Hedera helix the common or English ivy, has been surreptitiously extending its influence on the balance of power which has prevailed over many years. 
It presents a clear and present threat to our environment in the same way that an invasive species can destroy whole swathes of other species and is starting to threaten our ability to maintain control as custodians of our countryside. 
We need to recognise our collective failure to handle ivy with an ignorance of the potential dangers which are now  becoming obvious. Despite the fact that it is already a designated invasive species in the USA. 
Invasive habit does not change with international location and it does NOT depend on introduction across national borders. 
The various woodlands authorities are employing the wrong definition of invasive species when they restrict it to immigrant species. They need to become smarter and look closely at the growth habit explosion and change their recommendations to leave ivy to run riot on the excuse that it does not kill trees directly and only weak and sick trees and provides excellent cover for wildlife. This borders on complacency in the absence of situation intelligence. 
Any advantages are outweighed now by its ability to overrun whole areas of poorly managed and neglected woodlands and hedgerows. The widespread encroachment of ivy and massive growth development of individual plants into to top canopy and hedgerows is clear for anyone with eyes to see and brains to compute the consequences. 
It is not smart to simply deny it without reference to a full scientific study which  is now required with urgency. 
I call on all arborists to engage here now. 
In particular we must apply our collective knowledge and experience to address the problem of how we can call a halt to the insidious encroachment of ivy as a whole and how we can actually reverse the process to the point that we regain our powers to control it. 
How does one exert practical control measures to handle the current widespread encroachment of this species?
I am confident that this will upset some individuals like my good friend Mick, but I encourage you all to think carefully and base your comments on observations and knowledge rather than any emotive motivation. 
The issue is now extremely important if we are to regain control of our enemy within. 

Edited by CambridgeJC
Word adjustments
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, CambridgeJC said:

OK. Here goes…

A hitherto benign member of our natural flora, Hedera helix the common or English ivy, has been surreptitiously extending its influence on the balance of power which has prevailed over many years. 
It presents a clear and present threat to our environment in the same way that an invasive species can destroy whole swathes of other species and is starting to threaten our ability to maintain control as custodians of our countryside. 
We need to recognise our collective failure to handle ivy with an ignorance of the potential dangers which are now  becoming obvious. Despite the fact that it is already a designated invasive species in the USA. 
Invasive habit does not change with international location and it does NOT depend on introduction across national borders. 
The various woodlands authorities are employing the wrong definition of invasive species when they restrict it to immigrant species. They need to become smarter and look closely at the growth habit explosion and change their recommendations to leave ivy to run riot on the excuse that it does not kill trees directly and only weak and sick trees and provides excellent cover for wildlife. This borders on complacency in the absence of situation intelligence. 
Any advantages are outweighed now by its ability to overrun whole areas of poorly managed and neglected woodlands and hedgerows. The widespread encroachment of ivy and massive growth development of individual plants into to top canopy and hedgerows is clear for anyone with eyes to see and brains to compute the consequences. 
It is not smart to simply deny it without reference to a full scientific study which  is now required with urgency. 
In particular we must apply our collective knowledge and experience to address the problem of how we can call a halt to the insidious encroachment of ivy as a whole and how we can actually reverse the process to the point that we regain our powers to control it. 
How does one exert practical control measures to handle the current widespread encroachment of this species?
I am confident that this will upset some individuals like my good friend Mick, but I encourage you all to think carefully and base your comments on observations and knowledge rather than any emotive motivation. 
The issue is now extremely important if we are to regain control of our enemy within. 

As someone that has 60 acres of trees [and buildings] to remove this stuff from, i agree 100%

john..

Problem isn't the ivy it's the poorly managed woodland. Fell the trees, that'll sort it. You won't make overstood hawthorn that's swamped in ivy live longer by stripping the ivy, you need to cut the hedges.

I volunteer with the wildlife trust and that's what we do in SSSI woodland, it opens up light and restarts the cycle with low level flowers. The idea that the ivy must be restrained to allow the trees to grow forever is misleading in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure you are looking at the frequency illusion or Baader Meinhof phenomenon. There's always been loads of ivy, I don't see any real increase. 

• Like 2

On 16/04/2022 at 09:43, CambridgeJC said:

OK. Here goes…

Are you political? Your rhetoric reminds me of the People's Front of Judea!

Re-read your stated soapboxing above and substitute ivy for anything "undesirable" and you'll see what I mean.

• Like 2